Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1197460  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I found this interesting item on EBay today:

A seller has a 1970s era Solari board flap sign from the GCT departure board: The main picture shows EMPIRE SERVICE
in blue letters on a orange background and it also includes the name Michael J. Murphy on one of the indications...
The item number is 290939944767 - Saturday July 6th at 6pm EDT
Seller: uniquitiesbyterry in Bridgeport,CT

I remember hearing that pieces of GCT's Solari boards were preserved when they were upgraded during the 1980s and
when the older boards were eventually replaced during the 1990s by the current electronic boards...

I realize that these signs are rare and is the seller far out of line on the price as I think it is?
Does anyone have an idea of how many Solari board flap signs that may have been preserved?

In closing everyone enjoy a happy and safe 4th of July and I thank all in advance for any
comments on this item from those more in the know...

MACTRAXX
 #1197469  by 3rdrail

That's a nice item and no, I don't believe that it is currently overpriced at $750 as I have seen stationairy signs of less historic value go for more. Just to give you an idea, a stationairy one-piece destination sign of historic value is usually priced at around $600-$1,000 at a show like Gaithersburg. That would be a nice piece for a model railroader who models the Central or Metro North. The variety of different announcements, historic value, pleasing and interesting construction, and size I predict will fetch this guy a price far in excess of where it's priced now, probably in the last few seconds of the auction. It's not a "use it out of the box" type item as it is going to need a box plus someone that knows a little bit about it to know where to grease it and revise it to run on house current most likely. All in all, an interesting item.
 #1197548  by runningwithscalpels

I saw flaps from the newer old departure boards at Ward Maps in Cambridge, MA for $125 back this spring, and those weren't in an enclosure either, so I don't think that the $750 the seller is asking for this is unreasonable at all.

As for me, I wish I could have justified giving these a home - I hear they have since been sold.
 #1197947  by CannaScrews

Let's say it is a reasonable price.
They are rare.

The only issue would be the condition of the plastic boards. They tended to break at the tabs for assorted reasons.

If you wanted to power it up, it would make a nice display - and fan.
 #1198126  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Thanks for the input concerning this item...

I was thinking of between $300 and $500 for this item and I now realize that $750
was not out of line noting its rarity...The seller has re-listed the item after rejecting
two offers that were quickly withdrawn with the first bidding period and no solid bids...

MACTRAXX
 #1198467  by Clean Cab

They really aren't all that rare. A lot of the individual sections (I believe there were 10 sections per board) were collected in the 1990's during the GCT renovation. I know that there is one completely intact board in the Danbury Railway Museum.
 #1201697  by JamesRR

It's essentially worth what one is willing to pay. I think $750 is high for this sign, though, as I saw one go one E-Bay for about $300 a few years ago. It was the same sign - one of the twelve sections of the trackside indicators.

There are a lot of people selling signs like this on E-Bay, who set arbitrary prices. I've seen NYC subway signs (the metal ones tossed out during construction projects) priced at over $1000 - which is ridiculous considering they were often tossed in trash cans, or sold be local dealers for far less.
 #1201725  by 3rdrail

JamesRR wrote: ...which is ridiculous considering they were often tossed in trash cans, or sold be local dealers for far less.
...as where the 20th Century Limited drumhead hand made signs.
 #1205940  by Tadman

Agreed on arbitrary pricing - some guy has a Braniff International ticket counter sign for $3900 listed now. It's cool, but not that cool.