Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1433081  by Teutobergerwald

Saw MP-15ac 150 pulling the red firefighting tankcar eastbound through Hicksville yesterday just before noon with 164. Getting sent out to KO for the summer ?????
 #1433254  by BuddR32

How does one railroad have two pieces of equipment with the same number?

Cab car 5001 & this one?
 #1433586  by nyandw

BuddR32 wrote:How does one railroad have two pieces of equipment with the same number? Cab car 5001 & this one?
Cab Car #5001

Perhaps as the MOW tank car is reporting marks: LI 5001 and the cab is under MTA/LIRR/ ?? etc. Just my proposal, please let others clarify.
 #1433608  by geico

nyandw wrote:Image
LIRR #5001 Ronkonkoma, NY 07/07/08 East end of yard by Knickerbocker Ave. Photo: Mike McDermet
The small motor under the middle of the car so it can pump its own water. Info: Bob Anderson
How useful is this tanker? Considering they usually bury it in the back of the yard. After moving the blocking train, its 2 moves to get it to go east
 #1433718  by Train2009

Teutobergerwald wrote:Saw MP-15ac 150 pulling the red firefighting tankcar eastbound through Hicksville yesterday just before noon with 164. Getting sent out to KO for the summer ?????
I saw it too at 10:23 AM last Saturday morning in Queens Village.
 #1433839  by DaveBarraza

How useful is this tanker? Considering they usually bury it in the back of the yard. After moving the blocking train, its 2 moves to get it to go east
They keep it in the same place they keep the plow, not really buried --but I've never seen it with any loco attached, so there's that. Would the DM30 used on the scoot be allowed to connect with an adapter coupler?
 #1433851  by Backshophoss

Believe both Tank cars were bought used and converted to the Fire protection use,the couplers are "Shelf"couplers that are FRA mandated,
So anything with a regular coupler can move them.(A DE/DM would be a "Last resort" however.)
The Shelf Coupler keeps the tank car from derailing if a truck broke away from the bolster on the car.
The cars may have been used in the past for Gas or Diesel Fuel loads.
The amount of water carried in the tank can be equal to 6 FD water tankers or more.
 #1433878  by fender52

I know one was used during the Pine Barrens fire. I saw it in front of Westhampton being refilled.

Metro North has one or two also.
 #1433881  by geico

I guess my point is, how useful is the tanker by the time they can get it to where they need it.... especially without an engine coupled?
 #1433882  by CarterB

Exactly how is this car used? Only as a water carrier, or does it have its own fire fighting equip, nozzles?
 #1433919  by Backshophoss

The main use is to supply water to the Fire Dept engines when the fire can affect the ROW in forest locations.
Has an onboard pump to supply water to a spray type nozzle mounted next to the tank car dome.
 #1433922  by freightguy

Metro North North White Plains shop just repainted their similar water tank. It's back up in Brewster, NY on the Harlem line which is ironically the same distance from the city as Ronkonkoma give or take.

I've seen a corn oil tank car accidentally coupled up to a retired LIRR single level coach. Took a bit to separate that hitch. I believe the shelf style coupler is also to prevent equipment from separating or rolling over easy.