Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway Succeeds CMQ!

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1579020  by Pensyfan19

I have to say, I did not see this coming.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... ine-route/
WASHINGTON – A subsidiary of New York short line Finger Lakes Railway next month will become the operator of the 58.68-mile Rockland Branch in Maine, taking over the lease of the state-owned line from Central Maine & Quebec.

Midcoast Rail Service will lease the trackage from CMQ, which became part of Canadian Pacific in June 2020. The branch runs from Brunswick to Rockland.
 #1579032  by Shortline614

This has been discussed plenty in the Rockland Branch thread. It was known from the moment CP took over the CMQ that they were not at all interested in the line and that a new operator was bound to come along. Finger Lakes Railway highrailers were spotted along the line a few months ago as well. Anyone paying close attention knew this was coming.
 #1579154  by Pensyfan19

I apologize. I have not been following this story in particular when compared to other recent developments in the industry (KCS-CN, passenger proposals, locomotive orders, etc.) I will try to follow this story a bit more in that case.
 #1579221  by Shortline614

No need to apologize! I don't expect everyone to pay attention to a random branch line in Southern Maine, especially when there are bigger events occurring. Just felt like correcting.