Railroad Forums 

• Filming from Amtrak LD trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1640480  by STrRedWolf

I just got word that CSX is prohibiting filming out from an Amtrak train due to an incident where someone snuck a camera into the engine cab w/o the engineer knowing it during a crew change, and the engineer got suspended for six months.

I kinda doubt it (although the person I heard this through got it from an Amtrak conductor). Can any "insider" poke around and see if this is the case? And if other host railroads do the same?
 #1640503  by Nasadowsk

None of this makes sense (ok, it’s 4am, and this stupid time change is messing with me).

In any case, if CSX means aiming a camera out a window of an Amtrak train and taking pictures (motion or still), they probably have little or no leg to stand on. And if they’re upset about people filming CSX trains from a public area, they can go pound sand.
 #1640504  by eolesen

Pretty certain personal cameras fall under the PED prohibitions either by FRA or company policy.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1640509  by Gilbert B Norman

Something tells me that there is more to the story Mr. Wolf has related.

So long as other passengers' privacy is respected, i.e. "don't aim your device right at me", I cannot imagine on board photography being prohibited by any party - especially if out the window (if you can fine one that isn't "opaque"). A member here who is a frequent Corridor rider has sent me photos when X-ing the Mianus of my Sister's house two miles away on Indian Point, which is visible during winter. Don't think he's ended up in the clink for so doing.

Obviously, it's perfectly legal to take photos, exterior and interior, while in flight. Naturally, if there is any kind of in-flight "incident", I'm sure an airline would just as soon you did not, but if there is any law against such, good luck enforcing it.

Now on or at railroad property; that's a "whole new ball game". I must say that I have found Brightline to be quite "railfan unfriendly". On my joyride last month, I wanted a photo of the engine at MCO/ORL, and got a very stern "Sir..." (come on, I was only an NCO when I was "in") from one of their platform guards. I think it would be mighty nice PR to have one's kids with a photo taken in front of the engine.
 #1640516  by Railjunkie

Two forward facing cameras in the cab along with two microphones. Cameras are pretty much always on, they see everything and hear everything. The only way it happens is if both cameras are not working, highly doubtful. The tape don't lie if someone did sneak on, "Smile your on Candid Camera." IF he received 6 months it was for something else. Sound like 30 days on the street with CSX doing there normal we will ban you for X amount of months. As for filming off an Amtrak train how would CSX know??

When did this happen??? If a passenger truly snuck onto a engine during a crew change I would have been handed a safety" bulletin by my RFE within 24 hours. Have not been handed nor seen a thing about it in the past five days. I will check my I-pad when I get back after my off days.

Lastly, the use of personal electronic devices while on duty is prohibited. It could/will cost you your job. There have been conductors who have lost there jobs cell phones, engineer with a smart watch.
 #1640555  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:42 am Something tells me that there is more to the story Mr. Wolf has related.

So long as other passengers' privacy is respected, i.e. "don't aim your device right at me", I cannot imagine on board photography being prohibited by any party - especially if out the window (if you can fine one that isn't "opaque"). A member here who is a frequent Corridor rider has sent me photos when X-ing the Mianus of my Sister's house two miles away on Indian Point, which is visible during winter. Don't think he's ended up in the clink for so doing.
The thinking from where I got this info is that some engineer snuck a camera up front and got caught, and made up a story to try to cover it up... and got the six month suspension. The conductor worked with the engineer before, and probably believed the engineer over any in-engine cameras, thus extended the ban to all passengers on his run .

Still, conductor is law on the train... and from what I see of RailJunkie, points to more of the engineer trying to put his own "front facing" camera in the cab.
 #1640608  by Railjunkie

Back at it today and since it had been a couple of days I need to sync my I-Pad. Less I get a visit from the I-Pad police. I haven't heard anything through the telegraph, telephone, tell a railroader, system so I'm thinking somebody got caught doing something stupid while on duty.
 #1640649  by Gilbert B Norman

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:57 am Still, conductor is law on the train... and from what I see of RailJunkie, points to more of the engineer trying to put his own "front facing" camera in the cab.
From Holiday Inn, Akron West---

It is possible that this CSX Engineer placed his own camera in the engine is that he wanted HIS own images in the case of an incident.

But someone wasn't happy about an employee had his own record of a possible incident - and because of that, he got six months.
 #1640654  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:19 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:57 am Still, conductor is law on the train... and from what I see of RailJunkie, points to more of the engineer trying to put his own "front facing" camera in the cab.
From Holiday Inn, Akron West---

It is possible that this CSX Engineer placed his own camera in the engine is that he wanted HIS own images in the case of an incident.

But someone wasn't happy about an employee had his own record of a possible incident - and because of that, he got six months.
Use of any personal electronic device while on duty is prohibited. You will be shot then sent to the eastern front. It is no joke the railroads don't F' around with this. If six months is all the engineer in question received he got lucky.