Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #6805  by Rick F.

To me, probably the ALCO RSD-12. I also like the EMD FP-7's. Then, there's those ever present GEEP 7's and 9's.

#6863  by ShayFan

I got to say the geep 7s and 9s in the original blue schemes. There is something about the schemes that spark my interest. Whenever I would be poking around in the New River Gorge or trout fishing Laurel Creek at Cotton Hill, I can imagine a train powered by them rolling through.

#10984  by Tony T.

The SD40's. The yellow nosed version the most. The slightly smaller lettering on the long hood made them stand out even more so when seen only in profile.

I also especially favor the passenger E units with the 'simplified' single grey band and blue lettering. I'm trying to get some HO scale decals made for my 'fleet'. TT

#74156  by Tadman

4617 looks like dark future. What year was that pic taken?
 #76737  by Redside20

I always liked the SD18S and the c&o had a fleet of 10 locomotives if i'm not mistaken

#76953  by AmtrakFan

My Favorite is the E7's

John

#162340  by Tadman

E7 #101 before C&O merged PM but still had control. Easily the best diesel paint job ever.

#164627  by blw

Another vote for the Dragon Ladies... (RSD-12s). But I'm really a steam fan :wink:
 #302342  by LJ

This is kinda tough, but the first shortline that I went to work on had old C & O, SD-18's on it. so I fell in love with the 7302 and the 7311. But I can not forget the GP-7's, GP-9's, GP-15T's, and the GP-38-2's.
 #308884  by LJ

:-) I use to work for two shortlines here in Pulaski Co., Indiana that were sister railroads. We had owned several former C & O SD-18's. They were the 7302 and the 7311. They were both used on the Tippecanoe R. R. at Monterey, In. When we had them they were both still in their Chessie System color scheme. The 7302 lost her Chessie lettering when we sent her to the A & R LINE R.R. The 7311 kept her old Chessie paint and lettering. And it was used like this on the J & K LINE R.R. UNTIL THE LINE torn up by the Railamerica in the last three years. Now I work for a shortline called the Chesapeke and Indiana R.R. It is located up in La Crosse, In. We operate 33 miles of track that was formerly a part of the old C & O / PM R.R.'s. We are currently leasing out SD-18 NO. 7311 from Ed Bowers of the Vintage Locomotive Incorporated. And there are no plans to remove the the Chessie lettering or colors.

#371123  by KC8WJG

The GP39's 3900-3919 of 1969. I guess because they were unique with only 23 ever built.