Railroad Forums 

• FastBrake Air Brake System

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#661818  by bearda

I'm kind of curious how many operators have used the FastBrake air brake system, and what their impression of it were (good, bad, or ugly). Any shop guys here who have had to work on or repair it?
 #662876  by CN Sparky

Shop guy here... haven't had to work on them too much, other than routine inspections. No failures that I've had parts on hand to fix yet... so if anything broke, we usually trailed it out of town.
 #663357  by bearda

CN_Hogger wrote:It's just as crappy as the EPIC2 brake.
Any particular reason why? What don't you like about it/both of them? I know most of the operators here hate EABs on principal, but if you've got an specifics I'm all ears.
 #668546  by CN_Hogger

bearda wrote:
CN_Hogger wrote:It's just as crappy as the EPIC2 brake.
Any particular reason why? What don't you like about it/both of them? I know most of the operators here hate EABs on principal, but if you've got an specifics I'm all ears.
The handle for the automatic has very little resistance and you usually end up setting a pound or two more air than you want to. Part of that might be the slight delay of the display of the EQ Res on the computer screen. The independent portion is slow to apply and slow to release in comparison to the other CCB's. I'd take a Knorr CCB equipped unit over a FAST anyday.
 #695973  by Clyde

technical guy.. 'Have found Fastbrake ok. My pros and cons;

Pros;
- Helpful messages on the CHU (Cab Handle Unit) display...
- Granted with a for 5 years waiver for COT&S by the FRA..
- Literally noiseless (no air at CHU)
- Easier to interface with other electronic devices such as Event recorder, Crew Alerter, Remote Contol System, Distributed Power etc..

Cons;
- Have to replace valve portions, or any other components? Wabtec only..
- Have to make change in the system (hardware/software)? Wabtec only..
..same for most electronic system.