Railroad Forums 

• Fairport Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1410439  by vbcog

Does anyone have resource for pictures/map of the yard in Fairport in the 1970's? I grew up there but have searched and found very few pictures of the yard area. I know the primary industry served was American Can, with metal in, boxcars of completed cans out, and gondolas of scrap metal out. I think there was a track on the south side of the yard east of Main St. for off-loading building supplies for a company there as well. I would love to know the details of track numbers, switches, etc.
 #1410448  by BR&P

As luck would have it, Fairport is one of only a few DICCS maps I'm missing. It was Zone G and if anybody has that (or Zone U Charlotte and Zone V State Street branch) I'd love to see it as well.
 #1418718  by Flat-Wheeler

Let's see, Zone 8 page 3, Fairport... Hmmm, yea this is close but a bit too recent (1989 ?). I see the spur to Agway at Turk Hill Road is missing (track was left in the woods for a couple decades) and I believe the 211 & 212 leads went to Conking & Calabrese Lumber which moved to a nearby property. They might have been the building materials broker on the East side of Main St..
 #1420187  by jr

I was at the Town of Perinton offices on Turk Hill Rd yesterday. There is a nice display of Can Company memorabilia down at the end of the building where the tax collector is (just follow the signs that say "Pay Taxes"). There is a large aerial photo of the Can Company, that includes a portion of the yard. Appears to be from the 40s or 50s. They also have an older ground-level view, that includes several wooden boxcars, maybe from the 20s.

JR
 #1420574  by Otto Vondrak

Here is a link to a 1924 map that shows Fairport and the American Can Co. complex.

http://photo.libraryweb.org/rochimag/rpm/rpm00043.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additional resources might be found here:

http://www.libraryweb.org/rochimag/maps/bound.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1420578  by BR&P

Otto, that's quite interesting. Looks like the freight main went north and the passenger tracks separated and went where the present day CSX main is. Presumably when the NYC went to CTC, the freight lines were downgraded to yard use.

FWIW, in 1943 there were 3 Fairport jobs a day from Rochester Yard. In 1955 there were still two.
 #1458630  by BR&P

FWIW, there is a photo just before the title page of Robert Carper's book "FOCUS - The Railroad In Transition" which shows NYC 2890 leading an eastbound freight down Track 4 by the Can plant. I was driving by there the other day and had the book with me, and while the smokestack has been replaced by a newer one, the buildings are unmistakably the same ones.
 #1459191  by Otto Vondrak

Here's a copy of Conrail's track diagram for Fairport dated 1989.

-otto-
Attachments:
Conrail, Fairport, NY, 1989
Conrail, Fairport, NY, 1989
Conrail_FairportNY_1989.jpg (221.43 KiB) Viewed 2638 times