Railroad Forums 

• Even more of a reason for putting more money into passenger rail.

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1627796  by trenitaloano

Check out youtuber City Nerd and his top 10 city pairs for High Speed Rail. Only the NEC city pairs scored higher than 20, Dallas to Houston and Miami to Orlando scored around 10, just about everything else scored less than 2.
He used a gravity model based on both city populations, divided by the distance between them in miles squared, with an adjustment based on time (closer to 2.5 hours heavily favored. His reasoning is, less than that driving gains, more than that airplanes gain market share. Why build a HSR network that can not fill all the trains it needs to run to compete with planes and cars? He explains it all very well.
Agree or disagree with him or not, he is using population as a measure to rank these c9ity pairs. If a train can not make the trip in less than 3 hours, that train should end.
[/quote]

I've never watched any of the City Nerd's videos. Is this the video you were talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgZfZxzuQU

I fully agree with his opinion regarding the necessity of a high-speed rail with bicycle accessibility from DC to Pittsburgh. Traveling by Amtrak took me 8 freakin hours to reach these two cities, whereas driving only took 4 hours!
 #1634877  by recondite

Population density, economic activity, and current transportation networks are some of the criteria that are included in CityNerd's research. These city pairings are particularly attractive as potential destinations for future high-speed rail lines, even if HSR is still a contentious issue in the United States.
 #1634909  by electricron

recondite wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:02 am Population density, economic activity, and current transportation networks are some of the criteria that are included in CityNerd's research. These city pairings are particularly attractive as potential destinations for future high-speed rail lines, even if HSR is still a contentious issue in the United States.
And I might add, New York City to Pittsburg did not make City Nerd's top 10 list.