Railroad Forums 

• Drivers passing the trolley

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1599652  by Silverliner5

have any trolley driver ever get pissed off from people passing them from either left to right sides on the road cause this people keep passing them and it happens ever day and I hope someday there can be a way to stop this from happening all the time.
 #1599667  by jwhite07

Is it statutorily illegal in Pennsylvania for a motorist to pass a stopped trolley?

If so, is there any meaningful enforcement of that law?

If the answer is no to either question, then trolley drivers can get annoyed all they want, but there isn't much to do about it.
 #1599678  by rcthompson04

Here is the applicable law: https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/le ... &subsctn=0

§ 3315. Passing and overtaking streetcars.

(a) General rule.--Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, the driver of a vehicle may not overtake and pass to the left of a streetcar proceeding in the same direction, whether the streetcar is actually in motion or temporarily halted to receive or discharge passengers, if overtaking or passing requires driving in a lane normally used by traffic moving in the opposite direction.

(b) Streetcar stopped to receive or discharge passengers.--The driver of a vehicle may not overtake and pass a streetcar which has stopped to receive or discharge passengers on the side on which passengers board or alight until the doors of the streetcar are closed and passengers who are discharged have reached the side of the highway.

(c) Applicability.--This section shall not be applicable to locations where streetcars are operating on tracks located within a median section of the roadway separated from the roadway by curbs or other physical barriers.

(May 11, 2006, P.L.159, No.37, eff. 60 days)
 #1599690  by rcthompson04

jwhite07 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:00 am I presumed there was such a law, but the second question is the pertinent one.
How meaningful is traffic enforcement in Philadelphia? I am skeptical. SEPTA Transit Police could enforce though!

Back in my younger days when I worked for the state I was involved in a case where a State Trooper hit a trolley. Everyone was getting sued for that one!
 #1599701  by JeffK

I wonder how much good it might do to equip cars with a swing-out stop sign, à la school buses. It would have to be placed at the rear end of the car rather than near the driver, though.
Then again, in Philly it would probably be seen as a challenge ...
 #1599767  by JeffK

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:35 am I mean, the existing K cars have light up stop signs on their rears.
True, but it's apparently not enough. School buses have lights on the back but people were passing them anyway. Anecdotally at least, it seems that compliance increased after signs were added that stuck out into the adjacent lane. I can't remember where I was at the time - Bucks Co.? - but I even saw a bus that had its sign on an arm that projected maybe halfway across (!)

I guess ya gotta get in people's faces anymore.