Railroad Forums 

• Downingtown Metroliner

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1638847  by MACTRAXX

NET - Thanks for the David Paul videos from Frankford Junction...I knew judging by the equipment that
this was 1990-1991 video recorded with a camcorder (hand-held video camera) on to VHS tape...

The Metroliner cab car in its 1979 rebuild COLOR SCHEME* was a quick conversion removing the pantograph...
The Metroliner cab cars with the yellow on black front striping and door with diaphragm were fully overhauled...

The AEM7 motors were then new with their original (and best) color scheme...In the video there are Amfleet
trains averaging six cars - part of a dedicated and marked "METROLINER SERVICE" fleet in the NEC...

I don't want to get too much off topic - the DP videos show how much has changed - or remained the same -
since the early 1990s...Frankford Junction was a interesting place to trainspot during the daytime...Back then
FJ still was an open station on the SEPTA Regional Rail (R7) Trenton Line...

*Pet Peeve Time: I VERY much prefer the neutral term COLOR SCHEME over the over-used railfan definition
of paint scheme...The 1979 Metroliner car rebuilds had Amtrak striping and graphics of Scotchlite reflective
sheeting...I always liked the large "Amtrak" in white across the front ends of those cars in red and blue with
black outline...In my opinion this can NOT be called a Paint Scheme when not one speck of paint is used...

I have used the term "Stripe Type" in some instances (Example: Amfleet Cars use color graphic sheeting
for their various color schemes) but COLOR SCHEME is the BEST description for anything in color used on
rail equipment...I will use the PAINT term only when there is actual paint being used...MACTRAXX
 #1638911  by ExCon90

Actually, I kind of like "livery" -- one less word, and clearly understandable.

Of course, the engineer who shuttles engines between the engine terminal and the train is still called a hostler, a job title dating from horse-and-buggy days. And we still "dial" telephone numbers by punching keys ...