• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion - 2005-2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by oibu

Saw under the BML thread the 54 has supposedly left?

Can anyone confirm? I would have to assume if true that it left by truck? Or is it going to some itermediate storage location?
  by jonnhrr

The 54 arrived at Washington Jct. by truck on 9/24. Looks to be in fairly good shape at least cosmetically from the pictures I've seen. I have not seen it in person. They have put the trucks under it and are working on hooking everything up.

Jon
  by oibu

Thanks- and yes, she seemed to be running right and tight when I saw her last October.
  by rockyroad

Buddy of mine heard a Locomotive horn in town of Ellsworth over the weekend, Was it you DSRR?
  by downeaster

rockyroad wrote:Buddy of mine heard a Locomotive horn in town of Ellsworth over the weekend, Was it you DSRR?
Ah, could have been. She was up and running, but never left the yard at Washington Jct as far as I know. The Jct. is a couple of miles from downtown Ellsworth but still possible he could have heard it.
  by chefwrg

I see there have been deliveries of rails and ties to Washington Junction. Did the rails come from farther up the line and what will the rail and ties be used for?
  by b&m 1566

So, the Conway Scenic has donated some cars that they no longer needed, nor used. They have two 44 tonners up for sale (one owned by the state of NH), could these be making their way over as a donation or is the Conway Scenic and the state set on making some cash off of these units?
  by chefwrg

Are the tracks to Bar Harbor still intact? I seem to rememberthat they were still there in the mid 80's.
  by MEC407

Bar Harbor is on an island, and there were never any railroads on the island or any tracks linking the island to the mainland. At one point there was a small piece of trackage connecting the Calais Branch at Washington Junction to a place called McNeil Point, where passengers would get off the train and board a ferry to Mount Desert Island, where Bar Harbor is located. To confuse things further, it was known as the Bar Harbor Branch for some time.
  by mwhite

The Green Mountain Railroad ran from Eagle Lake up to the top of Cadillac Mountain on Mount Desert Island. It was a cog railway. Parts of it went to the Mountain Washington Cog Railway after it was went out of business.
  by MEC407

I stand corrected... I always forget about the cog railroad that ran up Cadillac. What I meant was that there were not any conventional railroads on the island. :-)
  by chefwrg

Thanks! I just remembering crossing over tracks headed towards Bar Harbor, didn't know how far they went. Are the track still there?
  by sandyriverman

The line was built originally to Ferry Point in Hancock. For many years, before cars were allowed on Mount Desert Island, a wonderful all Pullman Train, from New York and Boston,the Bar Harbor Express, ran to Ferry Point. I believe this ended in the 1920's or so and the Bar Harbor Express terminated in Ellsworth for many years after that. When I was in High School in Ellsworth in the early 1960's the track through the Village of Hancock, that had originally extended to Ferry Point for connection to the steamboat to Bar Harbor, had been cut back and ended at the West end of the recently replaced "whistling bridge" between Hancock and Sullivan. There was a hardware and lumber dealer there, LA Gray, that received shipment by rail well into the 60's. Trackage was then eventually cut back to Franklin Roads, the intersection of Rt 1 and Rt 182 where there was another customer. Just west of that was the tannery. A friend of mine worked there about 1965 and I believe they were served by rail. Last I knew that track was still in place (to around the tannery) which wasn't too far from Washington Jct. Don't know for sure how much is left. Some stuff may have come from the scrapping of the line around Machias earlier this year. I know that where the Calais Branch crosses Rt 182 in Cherryfield I noticed the other day that someone had removed a whole lot of rail joiners for some distance. I suspect they may have gone to Ellsworth but who knows. I drove by Wash Jct last Sunday night and noticed the 70 tonner there. Good to see power on the lot. The 44 tonners in N Conway are dead with dead engines. I think they are for sale but don't expect them to bring much. There are quite a few around that are for sale relatively cheaply that run. Dead ones are just for parts. Time will tell.
  by MEC Calais Branch

Anyone have an update regarding the station in Machias and the boxcar left there? I don't know if that is another organization or not.