Railroad Forums 

• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion - 2005-2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#869674  by bml1149

Cosmo wrote:Ok, now the $10,000,000 question (in 3 parts):
1) is there still a turntable in Salmon Falls, and if so, (or if another reasonable substitute could be located and made available)
2)would you consider installing a TT and pit at WJct, and
3) are there plans to eventually build a full engine house or roundhouse, possibly following a MEC pattern/plan?
Cosmo, Answers to your questions;
1. No, it was scrapped last year, I don't know the details.
2. We have discussed it, but again costs vs priorities. For now, the wye will give us the ability to turn equipment.
3. We are considering several plans. While a historic type MEC roundhouse would look nice, this type of building would be more costly to build, plus it would not be a practical design for an all purpose maintenance building. Most roundhouses of the day were intended to be just a turnaround facility for doing light repairs. We want to design something capable of heavy component replacement on diesel locomotives to coach repair to MOW equipment repair. If the original roundhouse at Washington Junction still existed, we would no doubt be using it. It does not, so we have the chance to design something that will suit our needs. Also we want to build it so it could be added to as we grow.
Leverett Fernald
 #873318  by Watchman318

Somewhere in the course of viewing all 114 or so photos in the slide-show here, I saw something about "rail-with-trail" beginning at Washington Jct.

I looked up this thread because of an article in the November issue of The Working Waterfront, "Rails to Trails: An economic engine." Its first paragraph:
When the rails and ties were removed in 2006 from an 85-mile stretch of the Calais branch rail corridor running through Hancock and Washington County, some observers saw it as [a] threat to the economy. However this joint effort by the Maine Department of Transportation, the Maine Department of Conservation, and several citizen organizations to provide a wide gravel base and repaired bridges for year-round recreational use was also designed to preserve the corridor for future rail use.
[Italics added.]

Does the DSRX share space with a trail on part of the line? How's that working out so far?
What are the chances of "future rail use" now that a trail has been established on part of the line?

BTW, good job by the folks at DRHPT/DSRX and MDOT, keeping steel wheels on steel rails. :-D
 #873436  by b&m 1566

calaisbranch wrote:A nice little article on coming attractions next season.....

http://www.fenceviewer.com/site/index.p ... Itemid=138
It sure is exciting to watch this railroad grow! I was fortunate to ride the last trip on opening weekend and look forward to more future rides.
Is a dining car on that long list of "hope to have someday"?
 #873794  by bml1149

Good evening, To answer Watchman's questions:
1. Yes, we do share the trail with the last 1000, or so feet of our line.
2. So far, not much to work out as this part of our line is not yet in service, but we do not see it being much of an issue when we do activate this part of the line.
3. I don't think anybody knows the answer to this question.
4. Thank you for your complements. A lot of hard work has gon into this project.

For B&M1566,
A diner car has been talked about at some point in the future. Perhaps after we get to Green Lake.

Leverett Fernald