• Double Deck Passenger Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

so how many are in service now? 16?

have any 900's gone on the attleboro line yet?

by Diverging Route

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:so how many are in service now? 16?

have any 900's gone on the attleboro line yet?
There are 20 in service (900-919). 900-915 have electric doors, and are on the Old Colony lines (though sets may occasionally see service on other lines). 916-919 have manual doors, and are assigned to sets on non-Old Colony lines. It's likely they wander onto the Attleboro line from time-to-time. Even though the press release from the MBTA <i>implies</i> they are assigned to specific trains (such as #800, the first inbound from Providence), operational needs can put cars anywhere at any time.

by The Port of Authority

While visiting my grandparents in Wollaston, I had the honor of riding 910 yesterday on the 3:45PM out of South Station, bound for Middleboro.

There were three new Kawasakis (among them 910 and 915) and an older 7xx, in addition to one Bombardier blind car and one Messerschmitt control car.

by Robert Paniagua

Those 900-cars are really nice, they ride a lotm better, and the look brighter too in terms of colour and lighting than its 700-series brothers. I hope the 900s stay this way for a while, I got to ride on some on the Old Colony route. I haven't seen none yet in the main line.

by B&MYoshi

Apparently, if the 300 million dollar Fitchburg Line Improvement Project becomes realitly, 18 double deck cars will be over here on the Fitchburg Line alng with 3 new Locomotves.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

there were 4 double decker cars comin to Boston on Q421, 1 has already been tagged :(

by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:there were 4 double decker cars comin to Boston on Q421, 1 has already been tagged :(
I'm sure you mean Q420 as Q421 would be westbound to Selkirk. :wink:

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yep thats it :-D i forgot evens are eastbound, odds westbound

by bierhere

Road on my first 900 today ( 910 ). This is an Old Colony set that does the 8:08 Worcester run. The set has electric doors.

The brightness of the cars seemed simliar to the newer 700 series cars right after they were delivered. I also appreciated the power outlets under the tables in the middle of the car. This is really nice when you are working with a laptop. Also, I like the plastic trim on the tables rather than the metal edges.

A very nice ride.

by railfan101

octr202 wrote:They were used on the northside for a while, when Big Dig construction shortened the length of the platforms. They operated on every line, from what I've read, including the Fitchburg, which has been long rumored to have a restriction on them:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... %3AMBTA/BM

They then went south to increase capacity on those lines.

I would love to know if there really are "restictions" for the bi-levels on the Northside, or if it is for capacity needs for the south side. What are the suposed restrictions and what lines do they exist on?

by CSX Conductor

This has been discussed a few times in the past. There are no height clearance issues on the North Side, just speed restrictions with Kawasakis in the consist, which is the same as on the South Side. :wink: I believe that it is true that the Kawasakis stay on the South Side because of ridership volume.

by Diverging Route

CSX Conductor wrote:This has been discussed a few times in the past. There are no height clearance issues on the North Side, just speed restrictions with Kawasakis in the consist, which is the same as on the South Side. :wink: I believe that it is true that the Kawasakis stay on the South Side because of ridership volume.
Speed restrictions on the south side? What would they be? All consists do 80 routinely on the corridor.

by Diverging Route

Cars 920-921-922-923 are now hanging out in front of BET -- with neither an engine nor a cab car attached. The "stickers" are still on the windows.

by CSX Conductor

Diverging Route wrote:Speed restrictions on the south side? What would they be? All consists do 80 routinely on the corridor.
The Kawaskis have a couple of speed restrictions on the Dorchester Branch per Timetable Special Instructions. I apologize for not knowing it off the top of my head, but after-all I am only qualified on freight speeds/operating rules.

BTW, coaches #924, 925, 926 & 927 arrived in Selkirk,NY from Willard, Ohio this afternoon. :wink:

by B&MYoshi

Speeds on the Fitchburg don't even get up to 80. The current max is 60