Railroad Forums 

• Do you miss BN C30-7's? (2 min video)

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#483535  by uhaul

Some time this decade I should get over there to videotape those -7s.

Happy Holidays

#516879  by Engineer Spike

I used to get these on coal trains, before there was enough MACs for them. I remember getting one on Thanksgiving '99. I was set back, but got called for an emergency engineer job to Creston, IA. I had the C30-7 leading two SD40s, on the return loads.
I thought that these engines were good pullers. They were quieter too. I just hated getting on or off the units. I am only average size, but the ladders were about 5stories tall, and the Alco style doors were hard to get into. This was especially true when I had my grip and my overnight bag. I didn't like the slow loading either.

#517258  by Denver

Why would anyone miss those lumbering bastards?
 #517546  by Komachi

** Spins a fire extinguisher by its trigger around his right, index finger like a Western gun-fighter. **

Why not?

There are auto enthusiasts who have affinities for Ford Edsels or even two of AMC's least asthetically pleasing offerings... the Gremlin and the Pacer.

I happen to like the Pacer (at least the '75-'77 models... not a fan of that "Mercedes Grille" they put on the '78-'80 models), just for its sheer uniqueness (wide as a Cadillac and 37% of the car is glass). And the Gremlin... besides being an odd car, was actually a beast out on the drag strips because of its power to weight ratio (small car with a big V-8). They actually had to put restrictor plates on the engine intakes, so that they would be fair competition with the other cars!

So, "car guys" have their reasons why they like certian makes and models that other car guys would scoff at. Same applies to members of the railroading community... foamers and railroad (wo)men alike.

While you may view the C30-7 in a negative light, there may be others who view them a little more positively.

"Different strokes for different folks," as they say.

Just a few links for the younger readers out there who may have never heard of the Edsel, the Pacer and the Gremlin...

Edsel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel

Pacer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Pacer

Germlin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Gremlin

#517718  by uhaul

I doubt if I could have typed it better Komachi. Kid asked me what a record was and I couldn't believe what I had just heard.

#519710  by Denver

If you tell yourself that enuff Komachi, pretty soon you'll believe it.

From a real railroaders perspective as opposed to the graden railroad variety, why would anyone miss them?

Next thing we know, you'll be waxing nostalgic about the LMX motors.

#520073  by Milwaukee_F40C

I like the C30-7's and the older U Boats for their lines, the GE gurgling sound, and all the smoke and fire. I don't see how they would operate a whole lot differently from an SD40.

#520474  by SooLineRob

Milwaukee_F40C wrote: I don't see how they would operate a whole lot differently from an SD40.
I recall them wheel slipping alot more than the SD40-2. If you had a little rain or snow on the rail dragging a 15,000 ton coal train uphill, those C30-7's would be lurching and jumping all over the place trying to keep adhesion. EMD's wheel slip control system was much better. I believe a poll would be (almost) unanimous if the question was: 4 C30-7's or 4 SD40-2's on a coal train; which do you prefer?

However, some of my favorite moments against NIMBYism involved C30-7's...

I worked a piggyback train that drew alot of horsepower on a short, light train. We'd creep out of the yard at 15MPH and once clear of the interlocking, accelerate up to 50 MPH. The NIMBY folks that lived next to the tracks would always flip us the bird; even though we'd wave and smile at their children waving at us. During the summer evenings, when the NIMBYs were hard at work at their bar-b-ques, I'd roll that piggyback train out of the yard, then go Notch 3, Notch 4, then swipe the throttle to Notch 8. Having 4 C30's belching out all that smoke and flames would truly anger our "neighbors". Then, just for spite, I'd notch back down, then repeat the throttle swipe for our "neighbors" further up the tracks so all the finger-flipping respectable folks could enjoy the full-on GE experience ... courtesy of the Dash 7 series.

#521073  by uhaul

Great story about NIMBYs. At least the kids enjoyed the locomotives.

#521986  by Engineer Spike

SooLineBob's story sounds like what some of the senior engineers said that they used to do with our Alcos!