Railroad Forums 

• Delmarva Peninsula - Diamond State Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1634833  by Jeff Smith

Never heard of this one before: WBOC.com
Delaware Eyes Passenger Rail Expansion Across the Delmarva Peninsula

DELMARVA - The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) is considering a major addition to Delaware's rail infrastructure, targeting the Delmarva Peninsula for a proposed passenger rail expansion. "The Diamond State Line" is part of the FY22 Corridor Identification and Development Program Selections.

Delaware Transit Corporation has been allocated $500,000 to formulate a scope, schedule, and cost estimate for the project. The proposed plan aims to utilize existing infrastructure, establishing a passenger line from Newark or Wilmington in the north, through Dover, and potentially extending to either Salisbury or Berlin.
The plan is still in early stages, and the operator of the proposed railroad is yet to be determined.
 #1634844  by Gilbert B Norman

Wow, the Blue Diamond was a "one that got away".

I was stationed at Dover AFB November '65 to June '67. To ride it was always a "do it next break...next break....next break".

And then it was gone.

addendum:

https://www.capegazette.com/article/blu ... ths/253560
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1634870  by R36 Combine Coach

Amtrak did serve Dover (NASCAR) Raceway and also the state fair (Harrington) on one occasion.

DelDOT's only rail service at this time is Wilmington/Newark SEPTA service (DelDOT service under a SEPTA
contract). DelDOT owns four Silverliner Vs delivered in 2012.
 #1634916  by MattW

When an agency owns train cars operated in a pool with another agency like DelDOT does, and I believe CDOT does for Metro North equipment, do they literally own four (in this case) particular vehicles? I'm thinking about things like propane cylinders and welding gas. I "own" a cylinder of each, but when I take either one to get "refilled" they just hand me a different, full bottle.
 #1634928  by rcthompson04

MattW wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:40 pm When an agency owns train cars operated in a pool with another agency like DelDOT does, and I believe CDOT does for Metro North equipment, do they literally own four (in this case) particular vehicles? I'm thinking about things like propane cylinders and welding gas. I "own" a cylinder of each, but when I take either one to get "refilled" they just hand me a different, full bottle.
They have decals on them saying Delaware owns them, but the 4 are subject to SEPTA’s sale leaseback arrangement with Banc of America Leasing.
 #1635009  by CNJGeep

The DELDot Silverliners Vs carry SEPA reporting marks, the same as the remainder of the Silverliner V Fleet. The married pair is 881-882 and the single cars are 736 and I think 735
 #1635022  by edbear

Rhode Island does own some equipment that is used by the MBTA. The cars have plates indicating RI ownership. The reason for this is that to apportion costs of running a two-state service is a lot of work if it is based on the number of riders each day. Instead, when the equipment was ordered, the projected cost of running the Rhode Island service was computed along with the estimated service lives of the equipment. As an example say the equipment has a service life of 20 years and say that the cost of the RI portion of the service will cost $30 million over those 20 years. RI buys $30 million of equipment, has them painted in MBTA color and has plates bolted inside the cars indicating ownership. The numbers are my creation, but that is how Rhode Island pays for its share of the MBTA commuter service.
 #1635156  by R36 Combine Coach

I'm skeptical if a north-south passenger service in Delaware would be effective, given Delaware has one north-south main highway (DE 1/U.S. 13) which splits into three (DE 1, U.S. 13, U.S. 113) south of Dover.

DelDOT already operates north-south intercounty bus service as part of the DART system with the 301 providing frequent weekday and limited Saturday service between Wilmington and Dover. Fare is $4, $32 weekly, $120 monthly. There is also a 303 between Dover and Georgetown.
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:52 am "Back in my day" in Dover ('65-'67), here was the PRR station located at the foot of Lockerman Street.
As of 1965 (May 1965 Official Guide) PRR trains 454 and 455 made one round trip between Philadelphia and Delmar. 454 left Delmar at 5:50 PM, arriving PHL 10:10 PM via Wilmington. 455 left PHL at 12:50 AM reaching Delmar at 4:25 AM. Intermediate stops at Clayton, Dover, Harrington, Bridgeville and Seaford.
CNJGeep wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:22 am The DELDot Silverliners Vs carry SEPA reporting marks, the same as the remainder of the Silverliner V Fleet. The married pair is 881-882 and the single cars are 736 and I think 735.
871 and 872. (881 and 882 were the final pair delivered and accepted in May 2013)
edbear wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:44 pm Rhode Island does own some equipment that is used by the MBTA. The cars have plates indicating RI ownership.
The NETransit roster does not list any Rhode Island owned equipment, except for some former PRR P70 coaches in the 1970s.
 #1635530  by jp1822

The idea is to get train service to the Eastern Shore of Maryland - either Salisbury or Berlin, MD - south of Dover. The only major north-south divided highway is Del DOT Route 1 to Dover, which is a practically a parking lot in summer time getting to the shore points. South of Dover, it's all stop and go (mostly) with traffic lights etc. on US Route 13, 113, and the continuation of Del DOT Route 1 to shore points. This won't be the Coast Starlight, but from Salisbury or Berlin - one can easily reach the mecca of Ocean City, MD, and there are LOTS of supporting services that would be available at the end of the line. There's also a lot of "experiential" tourist things in Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, as well as colleges along either rail route to keep it afloat in off seasons.
 #1635542  by TheOneKEA

Should the portion of the route from Wilmington/Newark to Dover be electrified, to allow for through services from Dover to Philly? I'm curious to know how many of the throngs of cars fighting their way down I-95 and I-495, to US 13 and DE 1 are coming from the parts of Philly served by SEPTA, and if a through service from somewhere in the Philly metropolitan region to Dover would actually draw away any of that through car traffic past Wilmington.

It certainly could be electrified on either the PRR 12kV 25Hz system or a modern 25kV 60Hz system, but should it be electrified?