Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1625476  by Tommy Meehan

Still no service above Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line. On their Twitter account, Metro-North advises:
Metro-North Railroad
Hudson Line service is suspended between Croton-Harmon and Poughkeepsie. Newburgh-Beacon Ferry service will not run [Monday]. Please travel to Croton-Harmon station or use the Harlem Line. Hudson Line tickets will be accepted on Harlem Line trains.
A Tweet from a stranded rider posted on Metro-North's Twitter account:
Still no busses or food for those of us stuck on trains for over 9 hours…
12:44 AM · Jul 10, 2023
Metro-North Twitter account link
 #1631801  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: (10/21) A mudslide has blocked the Hudson Line between Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon...
MNCR is terminating Hudson Line trains at Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon from the south and north
respectively - Limited bus service is operating as a "bridge" between these two stations...

Check with www.mta.info for further updates on this Hudson Line track outage...MACTRAXX
 #1631802  by MNCRR9000

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: (10/21) A mudslide has blocked the Hudson Line between Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon...
MNCR is terminating Hudson Line trains at Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon from the south and north
respectively - Limited bus service is operating as a "bridge" between these two stations...

Check with www.mta.info for further updates on this Hudson Line track outage...MACTRAXX
With this mudslide if they had to get equipment North and South is the Beacon Line still an option not sure what type of condition it is in these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1631828  by expbusop

Most likely not, condition of ROW terrible, disconnected rails,overgrowth, rail section removed at CT NY line. Some places you wouldn’t know there is a railroad. Also what would you use Harlem or New Haven Line, time consuming don’t think it’s worth it especially for Amtrak.
 #1631829  by MNCRR9000

expbusop wrote:Most likely not, condition of ROW terrible, disconnected rails,overgrowth, rail section removed at CT NY line. Some places you wouldn’t know there is a railroad. Also what would you use Harlem or New Haven Line, time consuming don’t think it’s worth it especially for Amtrak.
I know Amtrak obviously wouldn’t use it. I Wasn’t sure of the condition of the right away and if they absolutely had to move equipment during an extended outage while they cleanup the mudslide if it would be an option. I also recall hearing that there was a bridge out along the beacon line as well but forget the exact location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1631830  by BR&P

Pics here: https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news ... in-weekend

Not sure how the tracks are numbered, presume the one closer to the water is Track 2? That looks like it could be opened fairly quickly. The biggest problem IMHO is the lack of stability in the bank, it's almost certain more of that will come down sooner or later. Got to feel bad for that homeowner, it's obviously a high $ home and just as obviously not livable at this point. And I doubt the next-door neighbor is sleeping very well, either.
 #1631835  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Location of Hudson Line hill slide: 28 Country Club Ln S; Scarborough, NY 10510 (Google Maps)
This is south of the Scarborough Hudson Line Station near the Sleepy Hollow Country Club...

From a close-up view it looks like a retaining wall failed causing this incident - the entire property is possibly
unstable including an in-ground pool...

The track clean-up and restoration effort looks to restore service (optomistically) by Monday October 23's AM
Peak hours...A dry week ahead weatherwise should help matters...MACTRAXX