Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1396841  by roysmith

Last night, I was on the 7:15 New Haven line train out of Grand Central. We pulled into Fordham, and sat there for about 10 minutes with the doors closed. Eventually, they opened the doors and let people on and off. Anybody know what was up? They made a few announcements about it. I couldn't quite make out what the problem was, but it didn't sound like any mechanical difficulties with the doors. At one point, I heard something about delays up ahead, and at another point, something about police activity.
 #1396867  by DutchRailnut

seems next time really listen to announcements.
 #1396890  by truck6018

Are you sure you were on the 7:15 departure out of GCT? There is no scheduled New Haven Line train at that time. Leaving 125th Street at that time, yes.

If you were on that train, were you in a car that the doors would have opened at Fordham? Yesterday (and today) there are 4 bridge plates up (allowing 2 cars to open) spanning across tracks 1 and 3 to allow continuing work with the CP109 project. Unless you were sitting in one of those 2 cars, the doors would not have opened.

Another result of two tracks being out of service is there is only one track available to go in each direction in that area. This results in delays as trains have to follow one another through the area between Melrose and Woodlawn.