Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1049264  by lirrfan

What are the big rectangular and square vents on the side of the DE/DM30AC's for? Everytime they pass I hear I sucking noise, but what are they for?
 #1049267  by DutchRailnut

air intakes for inverter ventilation, cooling fan inlet, traction motor fans etc etc etc.
 #1049271  by lirrfan

DutchRailnut wrote:air intakes for inverter ventilation, cooling fan inlet, traction motor fans etc etc etc.
What about the air for the engine? And where does the air go? Does it flow out through a seperate vent?
 #1049272  by DutchRailnut

I believe its covered by " etc, etc, etc"
the intake air for engine is about lowest volume on list of things that need air.
 #1056703  by drumz0rz

lirrfan wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:air intakes for inverter ventilation, cooling fan inlet, traction motor fans etc etc etc.
What about the air for the engine? And where does the air go? Does it flow out through a seperate vent?
The fans along the top pull all the air / exhaust out.
 #1057029  by keyboardkat

If you look at the top of the locomotive, there are three fans at the rear. The two fans which look similar to each other are apparently engine-cooling radiator fans. The third, large fan is probably for inverter cooling. My understanding is that inverters throw off a lot of heat.
 #1057257  by Bright Star

Behind the grills on the left hand side are a set of spin-tube filters which clean the air of particulate matter.

This air is directed to a large centrifugal blower which ventilates the following:

No. 1 Truck
electrical cabinet (right side of loco)
Inverter cabinet (left side of loco)

On the roof is a double blower which cools the main alternator and supplies draft to the spin tubes.

There are (2) engine cooling fans and another smaller centrifugal blower (which can be seen behind the intake) that ventilates the No. 2 truck.

The secondary engine air filters (baggies) are in the alternator compartment per standard EMD practice.

BS