Railroad Forums 

• Cuban 2-8-0 Steam Locomotives

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#751070  by jgallaway81

In 1919/20 the Cooke Works of the American Locomotive Company in Patterson NJ produced a series of standard Gauge, simple 2-8-0's for cuban sugar plantation service.

For some reason, the last two units in this order were never delivered to the island, resulting in construction numbers 62623 and 62624 remaining in the US.

One was sold in 1923 to the Lowville and Beaver River in New York State, the other eventually ended up on the Boyne City Railroad in Michigan before being sold to the Arcade & Attica in New York.

Since these units were originally built for Cuban Sugar service, it stands to reason that more information about the units (and the group that was shipped) would be down in Cuba... a place that is restricted to me being an American Citizen.

However, a little research found out that a European union law passed in 1996 actually makes it illegal for European citizens to comply with the latest US law passed regarding the embargo.

With that in mind, I was wondering if some people here might have access to information about engines in cuba. I'm guessing that the ALCO's in question would have construction numbers near 62620.

I'm hoping that blueprints might still exist somewhere in Cuba, though ANY information regarding this order of engines would be GREATLY appreciated.
 #751579  by santafeboy

SN# 62620 became MINAZ Central Marcelo Salado #1549 , SN# 62621 Became MINAZ Central Jesus Rabi #1414, SN# 62622 became MINAZ Central Maximo Gomez #1824, SN# 62625 became MINAZ Central Ranulfo Leyva #1464 MINAZ = Minesterio de Azucar, Azucar is spanish for sugar