Railroad Forums 

• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1423501  by B&M 1227

yes, a combined Q003/Q009 detoured westbound, and I believe Q008 and Q254 detoured eastbound. railbuffs were out in full force shooting the 7200 stack job going west on wednesday...
 #1424443  by Jeff Smith

I assume this is part of the River line; if not, we can split it off:

http://m.thedailymail.net/news/article_ ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Double-tracking from Catskill to Coxsackie
The project of adding a total of 18 miles of track was first announced to the public in 2013, CSX Director of Communications and Media Relations Rob Doolittle. The goal is to install tracks that run parallel to the existing main railroad line that runs between Coxsackie and Catskill, Doolittle said.
 #1440573  by airman00

The other day, in my work travels, I noticed CSX doing some major track work in Harrington Park, NJ. It appeared they were doing some rail replacement between Lafayette Ave & Harriot Ave. However... it also looked like they were working on the Lafayette Ave crossing as well. Now here's the thing, I know for a fact CSX updated that crossing just a few years ago. I figure you should be able to get more than a few years out of a crossing replacement. Plus it almost (not to speculate) looked like they had opened up enough crossing/roadway to make a double-track crossing. Anyone know what's going on?
 #1440774  by RichM

Anything is possible, but I'd think if the double tracking were contemplated in the immediate future you would see bridge work immediately south at the troublesome bridge over the neck of the reservoir, and re-decking the culvert immediately north of Lafayette Road.

I know you're local to the area, as was I. Seems like for the twenty five years or so I was around there, the Lafayette Road crossing was repaired about every 3-4 years. May just be because of the stresses of the curve.
 #1441005  by CPSK

I saw the rail train heading north through Teaneck on Mon 8/15. I wasn't close enough to the track to see how much, if any rail was on the train, but it looked to me that there was no rail on the upper sections at least, unless it was in short enough sections to occupy only one car each.

Perhaps the cut in the crossing is for laying new cables? I know that AT&T has lines along the ROW, and of course CSX has its own lines buried there too.
 #1447990  by CPSK

Long trains on the River sub. At 20:45 on 10/21/2017 I heard a train with 700 axles cross the EDD at mp 38.5. That's about the longest one I've heard so far.
I'll be able to get its symbol as soon as it gets a bit farther south when I can hear the train.
Seem to be lots of long trains on the RL lately.
The train's symbol was Q433. I guess that's either an oil or ethanol train, as I heard reading of "tie-down" information. Train is tied down in Teaneck.
 #1449286  by airman00

I noticed in my work travels today that CSX was replacing the signals in Closter/Harrington Park, the old hook road crossing. The signal says “15S” on it? Anyway, what was interesting was that the new signals were going in, on the opposite site of the track from where the old ones are/were. Which opens that spot up in case of future double tracking, since those old signals would’ve been in the way.
 #1449307  by AMK0123

CPSK wrote:Long trains on the River sub. At 20:45 on 10/21/2017 I heard a train with 700 axles cross the EDD at mp 38.5. That's about the longest one I've heard so far.
I'll be able to get its symbol as soon as it gets a bit farther south when I can hear the train.
Seem to be lots of long trains on the RL lately.
The train's symbol was Q433. I guess that's either an oil or ethanol train, as I heard reading of "tie-down" information. Train is tied down in Teaneck.
The Q433 is the daily Selkirk to Oak Island, New Jersey, manifest train. Have heard them routinely running with 4 -500 axle counts. Wonder if they were transporting additional blocks or were a combined train from the day before....
 #1449335  by waldwickrailfan

Q433 has been over 1000 axles at least 1 day a week the last 2 months or so. It runs daily. More traffic, but I believe some blocks that used to go via Sand Patch are taking the scenic route to Selkirk and south to NJ, Philly, Baltimore, etc..
 #1449379  by ccutler

Pretty amazing that CSX is turning down money to rebuilt the Baltimore tunnels for double stacking. That decision ensures continued high traffic on the river line, alongside the possibility that their ancient Baltimore tunnels suffer another catastrophe right under the downtown of a major city. Nice.
 #1458124  by airman00

I saw an interesting train the other day. It must’ve been an extra train? It was a somewhat shorter train with only one engine. Rare to see a river line freight with only one unit. Why only one engine?