Railroad Forums 

• CSX Readville Yard Boston

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1560131  by RRCOMM

They were open top with no dump facilities. Could CSX have run out of space for storage at Framingham for the Fitchburg branch customer? I could not tell if they were loads or empty's.
 #1560136  by RRCOMM

Could be for Brockton or Taunton but kind of out of the way . B731 was taking them via Walpole.
 #1560227  by Knucklehead

RRCOMM wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:00 am They were open top with no dump facilities. Could CSX have run out of space for storage at Framingham for the Fitchburg branch customer? I could not tell if they were loads or empty's.
If that were the case, I would think they would use the old CP yard (if it were not full of cars being stored) or Nevin's yard, all in Framingham.
 #1560253  by RRCOMM

Some of the cars look like that, some are black but same build. Most Reporting Marks also look the same. Not new but not beat up. I just cannot picture a customer in the Readville area.
 #1561057  by Georgewatchingtrains

I also saw those in Readville and was confused as to why they were there. They were not loaded but it almost seem like storage. They are all gone now, maybe going to Avon/Brockton trash customer? I was very confused to see "trash cars" as I call them in Readville.
 #1624664  by Jeff Smith

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/bosto ... ees-action
Boston's last freight yard still sees action

Nothing like pulling into the Wolcott Square Dunkin' Donuts for a couple of breakfast sandwiches and seeing a freight train slowly rolling past on the Fairmount Line tracks above you.

CSX's Readville Yard 1, just south of the Readville commuter-rail station, is the last active freight yard in a city that was once full of them. This morning, a CSX locomotive slowly pushed a series of boxcars out of the yard towards the rest of Boston.

A sort of stub line still almost connects the agglomeration of tracks around the station to Yard 5, another freight yard on the other side of Sprague Street where most of the tracks have been torn up and replaced by a series of buildings, including a Tesla repair garage. In April, South Coast Rail Videos captured a CSX locomotive hauling what appears to be a giant electrical thing around Readville, including into Yard 5.
 #1625505  by copcars

I saw stacks of new ties at READVILLE today, they were not there two weeks ago.They had a tie gang there 3 or 4 years ago.
 #1630800  by Ryanontherails

What customers are left out of Readville these days? I got a list of CSX trains from another site and it says that there are two locals which both run Monday-Friday: L001 (formerly B710), which runs Readville-Stoughton; and L010 (formerly B731), which runs Readville-Walpole-Framingham.

Pre-COVID, L001 served the Home Depot distribution center in Norwood 3x weekly and someone in Stoughton (Cohenno? Flagship Forest Products? Someone else?) pretty infrequently. Looking at some of the other threads it now serves MS Walker immediately south of Readville Yard. I don't think L010 serves any customers unless they do Certainteed in South Norwood on the East Walpole IT.

Certainteed was served 3x weekly pre-COVID. Last week a cement truck hit the Morse Street bridge in Norwood, which has led to its temporary removal. I was reading some of the posts on Norwood Police's Facebook page. They're replacing the bridge and raising it by eighteen inches, and the police posted that it was their understanding that rail service would resume. The local residents commenting weren't sure how often the tracks are used, whether it was once a month or once a week. One said the switch broke a few years ago and Certainteed was having everything sent in by truck. I was looking at orthophotos and pre-2021 there always seemed to be a train car on their siding, but after then it's been empty and in the most recent one Certainteed was parking their pneumatic trailers that go on the trucks on the tracks themselves. Usually they would park them next to it. If it is true that the switch is broken, I wonder what is taking so long for them to repair it. My understanding is that Certainteed has a legacy contact and CSX cannot deny them service, so it would be Certainteed's call if they chose to discontinue, and unless the state was the one who owned the switch CSX would have to fix it ASAP.
 #1630835  by copcars

I drive by CERTAINTEED,Byrd asphalt shingles, every week and I have not seen a car on their siding the last 2 or 3 years.They used to get tanker cars and hoppers about 5 cars a week.That same bridge was hit 3 years ago and moved it a few inches out of alignment.At Readville they still service Home Depot warehouse in Westwood off the NEC.The lumber warehouse in Stoughton still gets an occasional car. A corona beer distributor gets 40 to 50 boxcars weekly,i assume its shipped from Mexico.Mr Boston still gets carloads of 100 percent grain alcohol.There is a switcher that starts around 6AM and services the customers listed above.The other job out of Readville leaves around 11AM for Framingham bringing the Mts from Readville,and picks up Mts in walpole around noon.It than goes to framingham to drop the Mts and brings back the loaded cars for Readville going thru Walpole at 4 to 6 PM.They run 5 days week mon to fri the FRAMingham job runs on Saturday sometimes.