Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#295896  by PRRGuy

I'm trying to figure out why the EMD roster has 2 engines listed for CSS 1502.. xC&O 5705 and xC&O 5743 Also, they don't have a listing for CSS 1505. Which is which?

Next issue...Sw9 206..supposedly an x Colorado and Wyoming unit but I can't find any info on it.

#295938  by Tadman

The SW9 was a shops critter, and to my knowledge it was always painted red/white. I can't seem to find any photos of it, but it was likely gone by 2000. Ask one of the older hands out there about it, and you're likely find an answer.

#295999  by CSXT 700

Here is the 206, sorry I dont know when it departed, but it is now the switcher at the elevator, in Fowlerville, Mi.

#296248  by PRRGuy

Thanks!

I don't think South Shore had that engine that long, the only picture I've seen of it was dated 1990. Wasn't the Co&Wy a subsitiary of CB&Q? I'm trying to find it's builder date and number.

Also, I checked into that "CSS 1502" at a number of museums in St Thomas...no one has a GP7 let alone a C&O unit that i can find.

#296621  by Tadman

try it the other way around - I seem to remember a shortline called Wyoming & Colorado, and they had some bright red F7's. Maybe that's what you're looking for.

#297080  by PRRGuy

Nothin...I guess that loco's history will just have to stay hidden for another time...

Ok, here's another ?

How many F45 did the CSS have, and how long did they have em?

#297163  by Tadman

I believe there was three, they were never repainted, they were in TERRIBLE shape, and they were returned to BN or whomever sold them initially within a few weeks, because they died continually. Dead coal trains on a tightly scheduled passenger line does not work for long.

Edit: from an email sent to me by a guy on the freight side...

Yes, they got 5 or 6 in '85 or 86' just after Venango River took over. All
were still in BN colors. A friend at the Shops said, they managed to get 1
running and it died before they could get out of Michigan City. They did not
stay long after that.

#297200  by byte

According the the guy who writes HTotHI, the electricals were corroded and pretty much shot because of the high-moisture weather they were used in while working for BN in the pacific northwest. I've never heard of that before, but it certainly seems feasible.

#297454  by PRRGuy

Interesting..

In case you've been wondering why I'm asking so many questions as of late...I'm attempting to make a roster of all present and former South Shore motive power. So far I've found all 3 ex fec GP7's and 3 of the 8 C&O GP7's, and I'm working on the history of the 206 right now.

#298606  by PRRGuy

Ok, I asked the same ? about the 206 on another forum and received an interesting answer..." The history of this loco is built as Colorado & Wyoming # 206 in 12/51 as an SW8 # 15742." I checked on the emd roster site and it matched up..I guess this means that the Morning Sun book could be *GASP* wrong....reminds me of another error..(the North Shore Caboose photos in the latest South Shore book)