Railroad Forums 

• Commuter club cars on Harlem Div. train

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1598068  by R Paul Carey

Tom, I have looked into my NYC Passenger Equipment Diagrams (original edition 12/1/1939, plus various subsequent revisions) in an attempt to answer your question. I recall having seen at least one of these cars on an occasion in the late 1950s at GCT; these cars were NYC #97, 98, and 99. They were modified from the arch-roof cars built by Osgood Bradley in 1927 for use on the B&A. The diagram page shows an undated pencil entry as "steel, club" appearing on a revision page dated 12/31/42.

These cars replaced three other cars (71, 73, and 76 that were stricken - also in pencil). Those three cars are indicated as having been built by AC&F in 1912, each with a conventional clerestory.

The reference diagram is for the B&A coach (no toilet); unfortunately I have no floor plan.
 #1633726  by TCurtin

PAul, one of the three cars (99?) I don't know the number) was used on the Hudson Div. I was outfitted for use either as an MU trailer or a locomotive hauled consist, and operated in service on both kinds of consists. It was painted and lettered in the MU car scheme. I saw it in service occasionally. --Tom
 #1633727  by TCurtin

Another comment: I located from the NYCHS a commuter ckub car floor plan for one of the other guys in the Stamford CT O Scale club. I'll see if I can find it or if the person I located for still has it. His O scale models are gorgeous and look spectacular behind his P-2 motor