Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May New Jersey Seashore Lines Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1619891  by Bracdude181

Wish it was warmer though.

They did a great job on the Mineral Spring. Today was its first day in service after 57 years or so.

Wonder what’s next to return to service? My moneys on either the two PRSL P70s or the Budd cars. Both show signs of being worked on recently.
 #1620582  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:42 am I would post the link but my phone wouldn’t let me copy it for some reason.
Here is the link: https://www.seashorelines.org/Passenger/MothersDay
 #1622336  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:56 pm I suppose it’s possible. A few people have informed me that the work was done by a volunteer group.

The only volunteer group I know of that could’ve done the work was the VRA. (Volunteer Railroader Association)

Hmm….
Could be VRA. CMSL as a for-profit company is not permitted to use volunteer labor for any purpose by both NJ State and Federal law. That said, CMSL could allow a volunteer organization to perform labor in exchange for permission for that volunteer organization to utilize the railroad for its own purposes, such as the VRA organizing speeder excursions and similar, so long as the value of the work done by the volunteers bears a reasonable relationship and value to the use by the volunteer organization.
 #1622434  by rrbluesman

It has been the VRA that has been clearing the vegetation on the Cape May Branch, they publish pictures and sort-of recruit for the work via Facebook.

There's lots of reasons why the track, including the damaged ROW, has been cleared - I wouldn't hold my breath on sudden expansion of of CMSL service. There are federal and state laws that require the tracks, grade crossings, and ROW be clear of vegetation and for consideration for a route to be considered "active" - I understand CMSL/NJSL has done this sort of clearing for service on the New Jersey Southern between Woodmansie and Lakehurst in the past for freight service that has never developed.

-Ed