Railroad Forums 

• Cleaning empty stock cars

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1387344  by NKP1155

When a carload of livestock reached its destination, what was the procedure once the stock was out of the car? Did the RR have to clean it? Whoever cleaned it, what was done? Before livestock left the rails, I saw stockcars used to move other commodities, even crates of tomatoes. Did those cars get additional treatment?
 #1387350  by Backshophoss

Believe it was the RR that washed out the cars before reuse,there were some consignees that were required to clean up
or dispose of Dunnage(lumber or cardboard used to protect the product)after the car was empty.
 #1387352  by BR&P

I think they just re-used the stock cars as is. I know the CB&Q double decker pig cars used to be rolling cesspools!
 #1390367  by wjstix

Generally, the cars were cleaned out using powerful hoses, spraying from the outside through the lower slats of the sides. The water used was usually mixed with a cleaning mix (bleach? chlorine?) that left a white stain on the lower part of the car over time...part of the reason some railroads painted the lower part of their stock cars white.