Railroad Forums 

• Chicago Subdivision: Belmont Rd underpass and idle freights

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#789601  by MetraBNSF

In the next several weeks a two-year, $53 million grade seperation will begin where the BNSF crosses Belmont Road in Downers Grove, IL. This is one of the most dangerous grade crossings in Illinois where such a separation is long overdue. One thing I was thinking about is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile west of Belmont Road, some eastbound freights waiting to get into Cicero will idle on the center track for a period of time. I'm wondering once the underpass project is completed, would eastbound freights move a little further east and possibly idle, say just west of the Downers Grove interlocking, which is about 3/4 mile east of Belmont Road. East of Belmont Road the area becomes more residential and a park is located south of the BNSF main halfway between Belmont Road and Downers Grove. Just a thought.
 #789743  by Gilbert B Norman

Regarding Chicago Sub Grade x-ings, I agree with you on Belmont, even if I do not have all that much occasion to X such. I can only hope that our "broke' State can find funding to address Maple Ave; that one 'scares" me with regard to both rail and highway traffic.
 #805739  by Deval

Probably not, and for the reason you just mentioned.

That, and I doubt they'll block the platforms at the Belmont Metra Station.
MetraBNSF wrote: I'm wondering once the underpass project is completed, would eastbound freights move a little further east and possibly idle, say just west of the Downers Grove interlocking, which is about 3/4 mile east of Belmont Road. East of Belmont Road the area becomes more residential and a park is located south of the BNSF main halfway between Belmont Road and Downers Grove. Just a thought.
 #807911  by EJ&ESDM809

They're planning on building a pedestrian tunnel similar to the ones at Naperville and Lisle so that would eliminate the platform blocking problem, maybe they'll sit just a bit further east, but probably not all the way down by the Downers Grove plant, that would probably get a lot of complaints from the city.