Railroad Forums 

• Chasing work questions?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1233830  by WhiskeyBravo270

Hello. Have an interview with UP for Saint James, Minnesota train crew 12/16. I know furloughs are a big part of the life. I've comforted myself by convincing myself I can chase work in the event I am furloughed.

If I am furloughed at Saint James, I can pack my duffel bag and go to some yard in North Dakota, Washington, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, or.... I am willing and able to live the life of a Nomad. I am a 34 year old single male without kids, mortgage, or bills. I've heard that some yards require you to train without pay while becoming familiar with the way things are done there; I'll get around this by saving $ while I am able to work.

So, am I deluding/fooling myself or will I be able to survive the furlough by chasing work--wherever it may be? I am not too concerned about being temporarily laid-off. I just want to know that I will be able to find work somewhere else in the United States as long as I'm willing to travel.
 #1234349  by qboy

One thing U might want to look at is a route map of the the UP to see exactly where UP runs. U can chase work if the company is offering borrow outs to different locations but its at the companies discretion and man power needs. Borrow out is like a temporary transfer. Example your in the Twin Cities Service Unit the company puts out bulletin notices via computer a need for people to borrow out to Texas, or Arizona, or wherever. U can place bid to go there its all seniority based, but if you don't have the seniority then U would get the bid. Just cause hungry and willing to move around and go anywhere doesn't necessarily mean your gonna keep working. U will have to chase work within your Service unit which may cover a couple of States and multiple locations. I don't know if the UP website still has them but look up in the maps section and look at the route maps and service unit maps to get a better idea of the possibilities where u can work maybe. Keep this in mind just cause your interviewing for St. James doesn't automatically mean your gonna end up there. Its part of the large Twin Cities Service unit which may have several seniority districts within it! Everything is seniority based with this job or should I say lifestyle!

By the way I know U were just generalizing with willing work anywhere,but I'll tell U now we don't have trackage in N or S Dakota that I'm aware of!

Good Luck