Railroad Forums 

• Chance Encounters with Steam

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#692692  by Schaffner

I was in Whitefish, MT on the Forth of July an I was utterly oblivious to the fact that SP 4449 was scheduled to pass through on the BNSF. I was standing with my friends at a town festival in the park when we all looked up when we heard a whistle and watched the loco steam in to a stop at the station where it took on water.

Now, I was very impressed at a chance encounter with this engine, which I think is the most beautiful preserved steam locomotive in the nation. This also kind of makes up for a time when I was a kid in the 80's waiting for my mom to pick me up from the steps of my hometown library. I was looking down at the ex-Erie main as it passed through town while waiting, and about 5 minutes after she picked me up, the preserved Nickel Plate Berkshire that was in action in the 80's came through town. I read about it in the paper the next day!

Anyone else out there have any chance encounters with preserved steam to tell us about, or any near misses( :( ) for that mater?
 #694267  by rlsteam

Yes, sometime in the mid-70s I was returning to Central Illinois from a visit to relatives in Dayton, Ohio, and as we passed through Indiana along the old C&O line I noticed people standing at the crossings. It turned out that the Chessie "Safety Special" was coming through behind the former Reading T-1, No. 2101. She was moving at quite a pace, and if I got a photo or slide I don't know where it is now. (I will have to look for it.) On another occasion, in 2005 I was staying with family in Fort Wayne on the way to a church conference in Pennsylvania, and leaving town in the morning I decided to check out the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society east of town which I knew had been working on NKP 765. The "chance" involved is that this was the morning they were preparing to give her her first boiler test, and were loading coal into the tender with a crane. (A photo is on my web site, http://www.railarchive.net/rlsteam/nkp.htm .)

Of course, back in steam days I had many "chance" encounters with steam in regular service. -- Richard Leonard