• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

CRAZY4TRAINS wrote:Otto how does cmrr get there engines and rolling stock to there main line?
Magic. The magic of cranes and flatbed trailers.
Is it all by truck or is there another connection to a class three railroad
There is a secret connection, but it's to a Class 4 railroad that doesn't appear on most maps. Maybe even a Class 5. ;-)

-otto-
  by scoostraw

Matt Langworthy wrote:Everything must be trucked in, because there is no connection to any other RR (Class I, II or III) at this time.
Unless it is brought to Kingston by CSX. If so, it would be ideal to be able to have it picked one end at a time from the CSX main and set on the rails in the post office parking lot.

Otherwise where could you do it? At Kingston Plaza? A coach is much more unwieldy than something like the S2.

Anyway Ernie knows I'm sure.
  by Matt Langworthy

Transloading directly from CSX to CMRR is a nice idea in theory... but the associated move by CSX woould create a serious bottleneck on their busy River Line while the coach was offloaded. I agree Ernie will have the final word. That being said, the safe bet is on a flatbed truck (and a crane).
  by Otto Vondrak

CSX would not be keen on shutting down the River Line main line for a few hours so that a coach could be craned from rail to rail. The more likely scenario involves the coach being spotted on a siding and then craned onto a trailer for the move across town where it will be craned onto CMRR rails.

-otto-
  by jmarino

Seen Ernies new photos posted Thanks , Switch looks good , Yard going to be tight with all cars stored their ? are you folks going to use tracks east of Cornell street.
  by jmarino

Otto Vondrak wrote:
CRAZY4TRAINS wrote:Otto how does cmrr get there engines and rolling stock to there main line?
Magic. The magic of cranes and flatbed trailers.
Is it all by truck or is there another connection to a class three railroad
There is a secret connection, but it's to a Class 4 railroad that doesn't appear on most maps. Maybe even a Class 5. ;-)

-otto-
Its underground , and comes out of a cave near K=8 in west Hurley lol
  by charlie6017

I must say, job very well done. It appears there is no reason that a trail cannot co-exist with the CMRR.

Great work! :-)

Charlie
  by SlowFreight

So, um, who originally rained on the county chairman's parade? I'm sure it's not an accident or a coincidence that he hates the railroad. Well...hate is a mighty strong word but when people take the effort to spread misinformation to their senators, that carries a certain level of commitment not found in your average NIMBY.

Seems to me you've got 3 strong arguments:

1) Claiming that adding one more trail will bring more tourism dollars is just not defensible. You have four already, so how can anyone claim that incremental revenue will be realized? This is clearly poor stewardship of county dollars.
2) Reversionary clauses mean that you probably don't get a trail and STB oversight means you don't even get to rip out the track.
3) CMRR has been anything but obstructionist, whereas the county chairman can't defend his refusal to cooperate.

Does CMRR have any friends in Chuck Shumer or Kirsten Gillibrand's offices?
  by O-6-O

"Does CMRR have any friends in Chuck Shumer or Kirsten Gillibrand's offices?"

This might be the most important question asked in this entire thread. This is NY State and nearly everything government wise comes at a "cost".

Little gets done on it's merits fore if it did this whole idea of scrapping a railroad to put in a trail would have died long ago. It's a no brainer that

the railroad can show more people the beauty of the Ashokan Res and the area all ready has plenty of hiking trails but if the political forces are against

the railroad, things are not going to go well. It is going to take a massive push by the Ulster locals to save the railroad because once the political minds are made up

it's over. Pen those letters, make those calls folks and get family and friends to do the same.
  by TW1976

EXCELLENT job on that rail with trail plan. That needs to be spread throughout Ulster county and also to the surrounding ones so people can see the truth that has been hidden from them by their own elected officials. You are up against some very organized groups,..many of which are taxpayer funded and have endless resources. These groups also seem to have carte blanche with the media, allowing them to feed the public any untrue facts necessary to sway public opinion against the railroad.....sad. (I'll refrain from stating how I really feel about these groups)

I always thought elected officials should be trying everything in their power to promote industry and job creating businesses and not to destroy something that has potential to bring it back.

Since the local media seems to be reluctant to print anything positive about the CMRR, how about taking out a full page ad that lays out your plan and lists the website address to the detailed version. Who knows, maybe you will pick up some backers with political clout?

I would be more than happy to donate money towards this

Tom Whyte
  by RussNelson

SlowFreight wrote:2) Reversionary clauses mean that you probably don't get a trail and STB oversight means you don't even get to rip out the track.
Please don't think that will help us. Instead of abandoning the track, they railbank it. The tracks get pulled, the railbed gets used for a trail, and as long as it has the *potential* to become a railroad again, the reversionary clauses don't come into play.
  by airman00

Throughout this whole process/ordeal, (however you wish to say it), here's one thing I have noticed. The CMRR has been taking the "high road" so to speak, and I commend them for that. Unfortunately the trail people aren't doing the same. :(