• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by jmarino

I noticed this year the herbicide spraying was not done was this a equipment issue, or the enviromentalists last year the folks had it looking great , even sections not in service .
  by Otto Vondrak

jmarino wrote:I noticed this year the herbicide spraying was not done was this a equipment issue, or the enviromentalists last year the folks had it looking great , even sections not in service .
From what I understand, we could not spray this year because there were not enough access points for the truck to get on and off the railroad safely due to the numerous washouts and may areas isolated from one another due to storm damage. In previous years, any vegetation control was done by licensed contractors in accordance and complete compliance with all local and federal regulations.

-otto-
  by scoostraw

Otto Vondrak wrote:
jmarino wrote:I noticed this year the herbicide spraying was not done was this a equipment issue, or the enviromentalists last year the folks had it looking great , even sections not in service .
From what I understand, we could not spray this year because there were not enough access points for the truck to get on and off the railroad safely due to the numerous washouts and may areas isolated from one another due to storm damage. In previous years, any vegetation control was done by licensed contractors in accordance and complete compliance with all local and federal regulations.

-otto-
I don't think there were any access points which were lost because of the hurricane. Of course the majority of the west end of the railroad was devastated by Irene, so it wouldn't make sense to do that portion. Maybe it wasn't cost effective to spray just Kingston.

But loss of "access points"? No.

I agree with jmarino though. Not only does the railroad look bad, but having that vegetation take over holds moisture and speeds up the deterioration of cross-ties etc. Plus the CMRR has to spend resources "mowing" their track etc.
  by cjvrr

Wow lots of recent posts are kicking the CMRR while it is down.

Otto is a vounteer there and involved. Thank you for your past and continued posts Otto!

I would think he would know the official word about access points and why the railroad was not sprayed this year. Why question it after he gives you the answer?
  by eehiv

To all:

Spraying on County owned or leased property is illegal in Ulster County. In order to spray we need to get a waiver from the county. We were unable to get a waiver this year in time for the optimal spray season (June/July) so we skipped spraying this year. We will seek a waiver next year and will spray what sections we can. In 2011 we only got a waiver to spray from Washington Avenue west (MP 4.37) and were forced to hand cut from there east. I suspect that will be the case again next year.

EH
  by scoostraw

eehiv wrote:To all:

Spraying on County owned or leased property is illegal in Ulster County. In order to spray we need to get a waiver from the county. We were unable to get a waiver this year in time for the optimal spray season (June/July) so we skipped spraying this year. We will seek a waiver next year and will spray what sections we can. In 2011 we only got a waiver to spray from Washington Avenue west (MP 4.37) and were forced to hand cut from there east. I suspect that will be the case again next year.

EH
Thanks Ernie for the answer. We're all pulling for you guys.

Are there still plans for a "ribbon-cutting" media event for a C9 inaugural crossing this fall?
  by scoostraw

cjvrr wrote:Wow lots of recent posts are kicking the CMRR while it is down.
Not at all. I don't think there is anyone here who is anti-CMRR.
cjvrr wrote:Otto is a vounteer there and involved.
I didn't know that. (I had never seen his name on any of the work reports)
cjvrr wrote:I would think he would know the official word about access points and why the railroad was not sprayed this year. Why question it after he gives you the answer?
See Ernie's post.
  by scoostraw

eehiv wrote:Definitely. EH
Can't wait to see this! It will be a real shot-in-the-arm for CMRR - and hopefully will energize everyone - including John Q. Public!

I hope you get a celebrity or beauty queen or someone like that to break the bottle of champagne - or cut the ribbon. Miss Ulster County? (is there even such a title?).

:)
  by Otto Vondrak

I am trying to do the best I can to keep a communication conduit open, based on what has been shared with me and what I have learned. We are all working towards the best possible outcome. A little patience is appreciated from all parties.

-otto-
  by eehiv

Friday, October 19th

Our scenic train will be running Friday out of Mt. Tremper from 10am to 3pm.

Saturday, October 20th

George Peck will lead a crew to complete the Longyear Siding extension. He will start at Longyear's at 9am.

The scenic train will run out of Mt. Tremper from 10am to 3pm. Weather looks good for Saturday , so we need extra hands to handle parking and ticketing.

Our Halloween train will run from 1 to 4pm in Kingston.

Sunday, October 21st

The scenic train will run from 10am to 3pm. We need as many hands as possible to help out!

Our Halloween train will run from 1 to 4pm in Kingston.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by jmarino

Otto is a vounteer there and involved. Thank you for your past and continued posts Otto!

I would think he would know the official word about access points and why the railroad was not sprayed this year. Why question it after he gives you the answer?
<My question of why spraying was not asked to kick the railroad while it was down if anyone takes it that way sorry , My question was answered thank you Otto and ernie
  by jmarino

eehiv wrote:To all:

EH
Thank you again ernie , I was just curios and now i know why spraying was not done , and for those who doubt the spraying mounth dont he is totaly correct , We use herbicide where i work also .
  by jmarino

scoostraw wrote:
Not at all. I don't think there is anyone here who is anti-CMRR.
cjvrr wrote:I would think he would know the official word about access points and why the railroad was not sprayed this year. Why question it after he gives you the answer?
See Ernie's post.