• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for the discussion of the operations, equipment, and history of the Catskill Mountain Railroad, operators of the former New York Central Catskill Mountain Branch (former Ulster & Delaware Railroad). Any relevant news stories posted from outside sources require a link to the original article plus a brief "fair-use" quote.

Official web site: http://catskillmtrailroad.com/

-otto-
  by airman00

I've been following the CMRR news on the 2011 thread and it's been really interestring. :) I see they are making GREAT progress in moving forward from ther storms we had in 2011 and just in general fixing up the line. I rode kingston train with my family and it was great. I will definately return and ride the senic train next time. So here's to having a good year for the CMRR!!
  by Otto Vondrak

airman00 wrote:I rode kingston train with my family and it was great. I will definately return and ride the senic train next time. So here's to having a good year for the CMRR!!
Thanks for visiting and thank you for your support. We depend entirely on ticket sales and the support of the community in order to meet our goals...

-otto-
CMRR volunteer
  by O-6-O

Otto Vondrak wrote:
airman00 wrote:I rode kingston train with my family and it was great. I will definately return and ride the senic train next time. So here's to having a good year for the CMRR!!
Thanks for visiting and thank you for your support. We depend entirely on ticket sales and the support of the community in order to meet our goals...

-otto-
CMRR volunteer
Oh really? I would think those volunteers and donors might not agree with the above. Many have put in substantial amounts to help fund this operation.
  by eehiv

Sunday, January 1st

On Sunday, Earl Pardini, Steve Gollow, Ray Farrell, Will Willsey, and Walt Otto finished spiking up the ties they inserted the day before.

Later in Kingston, we ran our January 1st train which was nearly full for all four runs. Walt Otto was Engineer, Ray Farrell was conductor, Steve Gollow and Will Willsey were flagmen along with John Patane, Earl and Mimi Pardini were car attendents, and Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

At Andrew's Lane, George Peck continued smoothing out the new switch area and located 7 more ties, for a total of 14 so far. 54 more to go.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Monday, January 2nd

On Monday, John Patane was engineer, John Watson, Conductor, Flagmen were Mark Glaser and Steve Gollow, Car attendents were Mimi Pardini, Pat Smalley, and Ticket Agent was Thom Johnson.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

CMRR Volunteer Wordays - 1/7

At 9am Saturday, George Peck will return to Andrew's Lane to finish grading the new switch site and laying out the switch ties.

There will be no work in Kingston Saturday.

CMRR Volunteer Wordays - 1/8

No crews are scheduled on Sunday.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by scoostraw

eehiv wrote:Sunday, January 1st
At Andrew's Lane, George Peck continued smoothing out the new switch area and located 7 more ties, for a total of 14 so far.
It's a good thing the Rip Van Winkle Flyer isn't waiting for the main to clear. ;)
  by eehiv

January 7, 2012

On Saturday, Steve Gollow and John Patane, inserted and spiked 4 ties between Downs Street and O'Neil Street.

Also on Saturday, George Peck led a crew at Andrew's lane consisting of Art Vogel and Dave Heick. They used the gradall and backhoe to finish leveling the switch site and installed 22 more switch timbers for a total of 36 so far out of 68. Afterwards they took the backhoe to Art's shop for a heavy overhaul.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

CMRR Volunteer Wordays - 1/14

No crews are scheduled on Saturday.

CMRR Volunteer Wordays - 1/15

At 9:30am Sunday, George Peck will return to Andrew's Lane to finish laying out the switch ties.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by SST

Well, if they are like the airlines, your going to have to pay a change fee along with the difference between the fare at the time the original ticket was sent to you and the cost of the same class of service today.
  by Otto Vondrak

xXwelderXx wrote:I don't know if you were being funny or serious. But in case you were serious you may have missed the meaning behind the story. And the winking smiley face at the end.

And I won't expect the railroad to take a ticket that was given to me in 1994. I am sure fares have changed. In all likely hood I will keep the ticket as a memento of my childhood and pass it down.
Hey xXwelderXx, you let us know when you think you might be making a visit... I'm sure we can extend our offer from way back in 1994! :-)

-otto-
  by eehiv

Saturday, January 14th

On Saturday, January 14th, the CMRR held its annual planning meeting at Phoenicia, where we worked on project priorities for 2012.

Many thanks to those who attended:

Earl Pardini, Peter Fluchere, Harry Jameson, Ernie Hunt, Ray Farrell, George Peck, George Liucci, Mimi Pardini, George Bain, Al Johnson, Dakin Morehouse, John Patane, Gladys Gilbert, Dave Heick, Bill Brosnan, Mark Glaser, Otto Vondrak, Art Vogel, Steve Gollow and Dick Wilhelm.

Sunday, January 15th

Work at Mt. Tremper was cancelled due to the cold weather.

In Kingston Earl Pardini, John Patane and Steve Gollow spiked up the four ties placed east of Downs Street the previous weekend.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

CMRR Volunteer Workdays - 1/21

At 9:30am Saturday, George Peck will return to Andrew's Lane to finish laying out the switch ties. Work will be cancelled if snow is 4 inches or more.

In Kingston, no crews are scheduled.

CMRR Volunteer Workdays - 1/22

At 10am Sunday, George Peck will return to Andrew's Lane to finish laying out the switch ties.

In Kingston, no crews are scheduled.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR