Railroad Forums 

• Can history of mental hospitalization bar you from entering?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#893753  by Gadfly

You cannot omit ANY health or legal issues on your application! Trust me, they WILL find out. If you think you are smart enough to outwit the HR people, you are fooling yourself into a big letdown. Any health issue, mental or otherwise *may* derail your employment, if not right away at the interview, then later on when you can be terminated for not being "truthful or fully revealing" during the interview process. I would be totally frank AT the interview.

GF
 #899883  by John80

I wouldnt be frank personally about it if it doesnt ask for it. They kind of scared me into putting down a public intoxication that was dismissed ( I always walk home from the bar even if I drive to it). Then interrogated me about it and tried to make me feel bad about not putting something like that on my application. To this day I still dont know why a dismissed public intox from years ago would matter. Quite frankly If I can get a conceal permit and clearances at PA jails I shouldnt have to worry bout something that isnt on my record. I thought about it some stuff you are better omitting especially if you dont have to list it.
 #899895  by Rurouni

Gadfly wrote:You cannot omit ANY health or legal issues on your application! Trust me, they WILL find out. If you think you are smart enough to outwit the HR people, you are fooling yourself into a big letdown. Any health issue, mental or otherwise *may* derail your employment, if not right away at the interview, then later on when you can be terminated for not being "truthful or fully revealing" during the interview process. I would be totally frank AT the interview.

GF
What if you "had" a health issue (which I would disagree with, because I was misinformed when I went into the hospital—not knowing what it was—because of certain beliefs of mine which some people thought was crazy—but it's a long story)
 #900833  by SeaSalt

Rurouni wrote:..the career?

I ask because to get into the marine transportation industry if you have to have no history of mental hospitalization, I think.

And definitely true for military.
I'll say this:

Medical records are PRIVATE!

There is NO central data base of confidential medical records!

If you can do the job and whatever issues are in the past and behind you, it's NONE of their business.

If you disclose, they will want to locate the records and then you'll have to sign a release etc.

In today's job market, I think many employers would just skip over you because of that.

I know a buddy that had some mental health issues as a teen. Those records were sealed because he was both under 18 and they were medical records. He was doing fine as an adult. He tried to enlist in the USCG and got a perm disqualification for his honesty. The recruiter would NEVER have known unless he ratted himself out.

Another guy I know applied for a Fed Security job and admitted he smoked dope. He was disqualified forever.

Do what you will. I think if you disclose, you'll get disqualified in a heartbeat. Say nothing and take the secret to your grave.
 #901398  by Rurouni

SeaSalt, thanks for your encouraging post!

In a trucking forum I asked the same question and somebody said that if I ever get into an accident they will try to find anything they can to make it my fault and my mental records might be brought into light and I would might get punishment for lying. Would you say that this is improbable?
 #901592  by SeaSalt

Rurouni wrote:SeaSalt, thanks for your encouraging post!

In a trucking forum I asked the same question and somebody said that if I ever get into an accident they will try to find anything they can to make it my fault and my mental records might be brought into light and I would might get punishment for lying. Would you say that this is improbable?

Highly unlikely.

Only really public record would be if you were given an involuntary commitement (a 48 or 72 hour hold is NOT the same). Being commited means a judge has found a person to be mentally incompetent. Then there would be a record.

For example a person has some "issues" and is placed in a mental health facility at a local hospital for a 72 hour eval hold. This would NOT show up on any records search and it doesn't disqualify for a TWIC.

On the other hand a person is found to be mentally incompetant and is ordered to be held in a state mental instituition for a year. That person is not eligible for a TWIC and those records are able to be found with a LE background check, for example.