Railroad Forums 

• Caboose house

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#711457  by Caboosemom

Hi Everyone...I am new here...I just wanted to let you know that 6 summers ago my husband and I purchased an old 1919 Caboose that was sitting on a lakeside lot...It was in horrible condition and after many years of renos..I am please to say that it has been converted into a winterized home...with all the comforts anyone could want..because of the lack of space we added 2 rooms onto the back end so we now have a living room and bedroom. The actual caboose is our kitchen, dining room and bathroom area...oh yes and my husband followed the slop of the caboose and added a veranda on the front..the looks we get from people are priceless...as they drive by they open the car windows and ask if it is truly a caboose....it is a solid home..I dare anyone to say otherwise...there are steel rods throughout which we came across when we were putting in larger windows...just love the place...

Well that is my story..would love to see what other people did with their caboose.....always looking for new ideas...
 #711644  by MarkT

And post some pic's too. Sounds great! :-D
 #711647  by nydepot

Sounds like the ex-BR&P caboose that used to sit on the east side of Silver Lake, NY, pear Perry. That disappeared years ago and was in rough shape.

Charles
 #711810  by Caboosemom

Hi...this caboose is located in the Laurentian Mountains in Quebec, Canada..near St. Sauveur..originally there we 2 of them years ago..the previous owners told me that they cold be gotten for free if you could just move them...here are some pics.

Edited by a Moderator (reducing size of images) Sep 3 2009
Attachments:
cabooseashomeresize3.JPG
cabooseashomeresize3.JPG (88.89 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
 #711812  by Caboosemom

Here is another one......

Edited by a Moderator (reducing size of the image) Sep 3 2009
Attachments:
cabooseashomeresize4.JPG
cabooseashomeresize4.JPG (90.3 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
 #711836  by EMTRailfan

In Pennsylvania, your property taxes are lower if you leave the wheels on a mobile home. Maybe you should have left the trucks under it. :wink:
 #712122  by Caboosemom

The ourside had to be stripped off cause of rot..but the inside is all original...the wheels were gone when we bought it...and of course we had to insulate it for the winter...my husband was very particular that we keep as much as possible..