Railroad Forums 

• Caboose for sale - Winchester, MA

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#201106  by Guilford Guy

Ok so had a great time today
Yoshi came over and we sorta went railfanning
We walked a mile to get to this
It's an old caboose
Now The poeple want to get rid of it and (i hope this isn't advertising saying that i guess one of you could buy it)

More Importantly can you help me identify the Railrod and class of this caboose
A google search under wood caboose turned up nothing
For those who want to know its off ridge road in winchester behind a housing develpment

We also caught a siding a tell tale and a stop look and listen post
Interesting because this crummy is 1mile from the nearest Railline

Thanx
Last edited by Guilford Guy on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

#201206  by steveh

Last edited by steveh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #201268  by caboose9

Guilford Guy said "It's an old caboose. The poeple want to get rid of it.
Can u help me identify the Railroad and class of this caboose?"

Hi,

What state is Winchester in?

Was I the only one who could NOT open the photo?

Roger

#201282  by Guilford Guy

Well its in Massachusetts
Im trying to find the Roadname
My friend and I had to go on Private Property (no trespassing, Violators will be prosecuted) so we asked the poeple and they brought us into one of the houses being built and let us take pics out the window because they didnt want us to get hurt because of the ice on the hill, so we couldn't get close to it
So anyway they said they wanted to get rid of it.
 #380476  by caboose9

Guilford Guy wrote, "It's in Massachusetts and I'm trying to find the roadname."

Hi,

It appears to be a B&M/L&NE buggy, but I'm not certain anyone has confirmed that ID.

They aren't going to get rid of this junker if they don't let anybody see it!

Roger

#380487  by tom18287

is it on a rail or just in the middle of the woods?

#380504  by Guilford Guy

It has a few feet of rail beneath it but a rail line never ran there.
 #485877  by PassRailSavesFuel

Guilford Guy wrote:Ok so had a great time today
Yoshi came over and we sorta went railfanning
We walked a mile to get to this
It's an old caboose
Now The poeple want to get rid of it and (i hope this isn't advertising saying that i guess one of you could buy it)

More Importantly can you help me identify the Railrod and class of this caboose
A google search under wood caboose turned up nothing
For those who want to know its off ridge road in winchester behind a housing develpment
So it's now 2007......what happened to the caboose?

#486012  by caboose9

PRSF said, "So it's now 2007...what happened to the caboose?"

SRK says, "Nothing!"
 #615600  by MEC Calais Branch

please tell me SOMEONE is finally taking care of her.. or find the price and post it... i would love to look out my window and see her sitting there.
 #618191  by RedLantern

Because of the shape it's in by the looks of it in the photos, I doubt the asking price is that much (if anything). I doubt if the owners really care what happens to it, which would most likely mean it's free. The kicker is that even though the price is most likely pretty cheap, the cost of moving it would probably be an issue.

Getting it on to a trailer would be somewhat hard depending on the condition of the wood. Also, if they really want it gone, that would mean that they want there to be no trace of it, which would mean moving the trucks, rails and the ties, which would all be factored in to the total cost of the move.

Relocating it as is would most likely require at least new ties, as well as the work of re-laying the tracks (something that most railfans wouldn't have a problem doing). This doesn't include any costs of restoring structural integrity to the trucks or the caboose itself. The caboose itself would probably need some structural work before it can be loaded onto a trailer.

I hope that by now someone has taken an interest in preserving this caboose, and if not, if the property owners still want it gone, I hope somebody will take the initiative to preserve this piece of railroading history before the owners decide to have a huge bonfire.
 #652149  by sparkyjay31

Could someone please provide me an address or contact if this caboose is still there? I think I have a new home including a full restoration for it if it's still there.

Jay