Railroad Forums 

• Buttzville double x-ing

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

Re:

#875470  by Bank Tower

the missing link wrote:I was out exploring that section of the old road today, the bridge over Changewater must've been impressive, the piers(still there) must be near 70' high. I found the east portal of Manunka Chunk Tunnel, sort of a holy grail because of it's funny name and innacessibility. The Butzville bridges were pretty neat to check out as well. Further up the stream (Pequest River) along the L&H, the r.o.w. of the older iron mine above was clearly visible.
Here is a 1940 aerial photo of DL&W's Changewater viaduct. South from Changewater, the line ran along slope on Musconetcong Mountain, crossed over Route 31 at Hampton and proceeded west for a short distance on a 3rd rail on CNJ's main line to a coal transfer facility - the semi-circular landforms in the second picture. Note the west-bound steam freight on the CNJ.
Attachments:
Hampton, NJ 1940
Hampton, NJ 1940
Hampton 1940.JPG (49.68 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Changewater, NJ 1940
Changewater, NJ 1940
changewater 1940 cu.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
 #880691  by Tommy5

Railjourner wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if anyone would know when the DL&W tracks were pulled up over the crossing (or the old road in general). Was it around the time the L&H's tracks were pulled or much earlier? Thanks for your help.
The DL&W old row had all its rail pulled up in 1974. The L&H's rail was pulled up in 1983
 #881424  by Bank Tower

Tommy5 wrote:
Railjourner wrote:Hi, I was just wondering if anyone would know when the DL&W tracks were pulled up over the crossing (or the old road in general). Was it around the time the L&H's tracks were pulled or much earlier? Thanks for your help.
The DL&W old row had all its rail pulled up in 1974. The L&H's rail was pulled up in 1983
Attachments:
Here's a 1974 aerial of that sad event
Here's a 1974 aerial of that sad event
Buttzville Double Xing 1974.JPG (21.39 KiB) Viewed 1523 times