Railroad Forums 

• Browns Yard/Coast Line freight

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1187244  by bigblue5277

SA33 departing west out of Browns Yard for the Dayton Branch.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 60&nseq=44
Lately, the daily weekday train has been idling at the west end of the yard between 5:30 and 6:00 pm and departing around 6:00 pm giver or take 15 min. I noticed surveillance cameras on some of the old catenary poles, which can be seen in the picture. I believe they are a recent addition to the yard.
 #1187380  by TAMR213

bigblue5277 wrote:SA33 departing west out of Browns Yard for the Dayton Branch.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 60&nseq=44
Lately, the daily weekday train has been idling at the west end of the yard between 5:30 and 6:00 pm and departing around 6:00 pm giver or take 15 min. I noticed surveillance cameras on some of the old catenary poles, which can be seen in the picture. I believe they are a recent addition to the yard.
Interesting photo, so I guess SA-33 is the train I hear passing through Spotswood and Helmetta each evening. The past few weeks, I've also heard a train (again in Spotswood/Helmetta) more days then not, around 2:00 pm each day. Any idea what train this is?
 #1187390  by bigblue5277

TAMR213 wrote: Interesting photo, so I guess SA-33 is the train I hear passing through Spotswood and Helmetta each evening. The past few weeks, I've also heard a train (again in Spotswood/Helmetta) more days then not, around 2:00 pm each day. Any idea what train this is?
Yep. And that train around 2pm is SA31. M-W and F it heads to Freehold and Tuesday it heads to Hightstown. On Th however SA31 goes down the NJCL to the Southern Sec.
 #1187435  by TAMR213

bigblue5277 wrote:
TAMR213 wrote: Interesting photo, so I guess SA-33 is the train I hear passing through Spotswood and Helmetta each evening. The past few weeks, I've also heard a train (again in Spotswood/Helmetta) more days then not, around 2:00 pm each day. Any idea what train this is?
Yep. And that train around 2pm is SA31. M-W and F it heads to Freehold and Tuesday it heads to Hightstown. On Th however SA31 goes down the NJCL to the Southern Sec.
Gotcha, thanks! Even though my Grandmother lives in Spotswood and I'm in the area quite often, its been awhile since I've had the opportunity to actually railfan anything coming out of Browns, so I've become unfamiliar with the current operations.

I was aware that the SA-31 went down the Southern once a week, but wasn't sure what days the Freehold and Hightstown (Cranbury really) were served. Any idea how many customers are left down to Cranbury? I can't imagine it being too many. Also, I assume the SA-33 is a 5 day a week job? Thanks in advance.
 #1187577  by bigblue5277

TAMR213 wrote:Gotcha, thanks! Even though my Grandmother lives in Spotswood and I'm in the area quite often, its been awhile since I've had the opportunity to actually railfan anything coming out of Browns, so I've become unfamiliar with the current operations.

I was aware that the SA-31 went down the Southern once a week, but wasn't sure what days the Freehold and Hightstown (Cranbury really) were served. Any idea how many customers are left down to Cranbury? I can't imagine it being too many. Also, I assume the SA-33 is a 5 day a week job? Thanks in advance.
SA-33 is 5 days a week.

There is also SA-3, the steel mill train, which runs up the Gillespie Branch and to the Sayreville Running track. It typically leaves the yard around 6pm. I caught it at 7pm last Thursday. Also caught it around 6pm on a Friday but in this case it was returning to the yard.

Then there is SA-2 which operates the Sayreville Running track west of South River. I know it has been depositing and picking up covered hoppers at Mauser during the day on Thursdays.
 #1187582  by ChrisU

bigblue5277 wrote:
TAMR213 wrote:Gotcha, thanks! Even though my Grandmother lives in Spotswood and I'm in the area quite often, its been awhile since I've had the opportunity to actually railfan anything coming out of Browns, so I've become unfamiliar with the current operations.

SA-33 is 5 days a week.

There is also SA-3, the steel mill train, which runs up the Gillespie Branch and to the Sayreville Running track. It typically leaves the yard around 6pm. I caught it at 7pm last Thursday. Also caught it around 6pm on a Friday but in this case it was returning to the yard.

Then there is SA-2 which operates the Sayreville Running track west of South River. I know it has been depositing and picking up covered hoppers at Mauser during the day on Thursdays.
Looks like Thursdays are quite busy at Browns.
 #1190314  by bigblue5277

I have been photographing the operations in and out of Browns for a couple years now, and finally I got to meet one of the crew. He gave me a little bit of a hard time at first, and justifiably so as I might have technically been trespassing, but he soon warmed to me and arranged this shot for me.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 05&nseq=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1190387  by TAMR213

bigblue5277 wrote:I have been photographing the operations in and out of Browns for a couple years now, and finally I got to meet one of the crew. He gave me a little bit of a hard time at first, and justifiably so as I might have technically been trespassing, but he soon warmed to me and arranged this shot for me.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 05&nseq=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you were standing where I think you might have been, I would say you were trespassing.

Anyway, something in your photo that I found interesting, I have never seen (what look to be) extra knuckles stored on the pilot like that.
 #1190654  by TAMR213

bigblue5277 wrote:
TAMR213 wrote: If you were standing where I think you might have been, I would say you were trespassing.
I was standing where you think I was, but got permission to do so.
Wasn't saying anything against you, sorry if it was taken any other way.

In addition, if thats the case, well then its not trespassing! :P
 #1255801  by bigblue5277

RailsEast wrote:Something I have never seen in Browns before; an CSX SD50, of C&O heritage!
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3765254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
A week later and that CSX SD50 is still hanging around in Browns Yard.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3772450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1255820  by RailsEast

Thanks for the report, Jason; this confirms my suspicions. For the last decade or more, the Browns Yard six-axle power for the steel plant has been exclusively SD40-2s, with an occasional former '45-2; to see an SD50-2 for the week tells me that CSX has demoted/reassigned former road power to local work such as this. Some SD40-2s are approaching 50 years of age, shoot 'em while you can folks.......

Chris
 #1256722  by Earle Baldwin

Hi, Chris.

SD50s are indeed showing up in yard service. I've seen them assigned to Bayway - the 8522 spent quite a long time there at one point - and I've also seen them working bulk terminal at E'port.

Bob
 #1256845  by BigDell

and I've also seen them working bulk terminal at E'port.
Chris... I've been wanting to catch them. E'port would be great, what's the best location to scout? Where do you go down there? Not sure what has the best public access anymore...