Railroad Forums 

• Brightline Orlando Launch Discussion

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1633703  by JamesT4

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:27 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:19 am Now Orlando is a horse of a different color; the FAA does "not exactly" appreciate high rises around an airport's perimeter.
A big complaint about the Orlando station I've heard is how it goes to the airport, and there is nothing around the airport to go to without having to pay for an Uber, etc. Not even SunRail goes to the airport, and they have access to now!

However, with the Orlando airport, that is part of Brightline's model of catering to tourists. If someone goes to Orlando for a trip/vacation, they now have the option to spend a day or so in South Florida without having to rent a car and drive it on highways unbeknownst to them, go through airport security again, etc.

Going from South Florida to Orlando might be inconvenient for some, given that once you're at the airport, you're SOL, but if your origin is Orlando, and you want to spend some time in South Florida, almost all the Brightline stations there empty out to where you want to be.
I don't comment on here too often but I just came back from Flordia and I did had the chance to ride Brightline last Saturday and i did a day trip to Miami and back and I actually enjoyed it. the ride experience and service were great, plus I have one of the speed apps on my phone and noticed the train I was riding after leaving Orlando until it got near the FEC going near the 125. My complaint was that Both trainsets I rode had the ads wraps on the windows so could not get good photos off the train.

Now I caught the 5:38 am train from Orlando airport and i did not take an Uber or taxi and the hotel shuttle was not running that early on a Saturday so i took the local bus there since the hotel I was staying at was on the route going to the airport. The station was nice the security was quick and easy even i had a bookbag no issues I like that Orlando and Miami stations had bars. Plus the onboard cart service on the train was good I gotten me just a coffee going to Miami. Train left on time and got there to Miami on time the train was not that full leaving Orlando but once we got to West Palm Beach and on down it got more packed.

On the way back I took the 7:41pm train back from Miami to Orlando and was able to get the last bus from the airport back to my hotel. I did not have time to roam the Miami station because i got off the Metrorail from tri-rail about 20 mins until departure and had stopped and got food from Chick-fli-A and got on the train within 5 mins. until the boarding was to stop but i did see a souvenir shop i will look at it more next time I'm down there. The train left on time was decent on board and more people getting on and off as the train made stops towards west palm beach but at West Palm Beach the car I was in basically almost emptied and some people realized last minute even with the constant announcements oh crap we got to get off or they will be stuck on until Orlando. got to Orland a bit early took the tram from the C terminal to the main terminal walked over to the ground transportation on the A terminal and took the last 42 bus back to my Hotel

There are multiple bus routes that go o the airport but specifically to routes 11,42 and 111 and all three of the routes serve Sunrail via the Sand Lake Road Station. So yes there is a connection to Brightline from Sunrail(not directly for now) but it involves a Bus connection via the 11, 42 or 111 buses and $2.00. Plus my hotel was staying at was basically a 20-minute walk to the Sunrail Station.

The buses will put you on the ground transportation on the A terminal and you have to follow the C terminal signs and take the terminal tram(outside security) from the main A and B terminals to the C terminal and Brightline is right next to the terminal link tram. I took the bus to and from Brightline both ways. It saved me money compared to taking a taxi or an Uber but if you carrying a lot of luggage or bags the bus connection is not really recommended.

Next time I'm back in Flordia I will plan on riding it again but i will take a chance and book and ride in the Premium class instead of the Smart Class.
 #1634729  by ExCon90

Yes, it's pretty upbeat. It lays out the drawbridge situation in detail; similar to what Amtrak faces between New Haven and Providence. Apparently Brightline, FEC, and the Coast Guard are working together in a spirit of making it all function.
 #1634739  by Gilbert B Norman

Here's hoping the Martin County Navy doesn't "declare war" on the FEC and Brightline. Lest we forget how Brightline was "fought tooth and nail" by that County.

Once again, I know I have been a Diogenes regarding AAF/Virgin (gone)/Brightline, but I'm pleased that Miami-West Palm (which I use for non-joyrides when I'm "down below") has proven to be a commercial success. Of course, "the jury's still out" regarding same West Palm-Orlando. Now will it be a "financial success, i.e. the bondholders are paid back upon maturity, that remains a big question. However, I'm quite certain it's here to stay, meaning in the absence of financial success, and that the "pro-passenger rail so long as it isn't Amtrak state" will bail out the bondholders making Brightline into a state agency.
 #1636557  by Gilbert B Norman

Previously not reported here is Brightline's reporting mark:

BFLX

Such presumably represents Brightline, Florida, Private Owner.

Along with practically every commuter agency out there, save the Long Island R R, Brightline is not considered a railroad.

Amtrak, AMTK, however is.

This begs the question; what will Brightline West's mark be? (to be continued over at that enterprise's Forum).
 #1636582  by dgvrengineer

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:29 am Brightline 1; SUV 0

Two fatalities in Melbourne on the newly opened WP-MCO segment.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2024 ... melbourne/

Oh well; guess the "learning curve" up there needs to be perfected, but the blatant driver negligence is "caught on tape".
I was on that train. I was in First Class which is the last car northbound. Felt a bump and then the emergency brakes.
Sat for 2 hours and 10 minutes before the police released us. Then max speed of 80 the rest of the way to Orlando. Sad thing is two days later at that very same crossing, a pickup truck ran around the gates and was hit by another Brightline train. Both occupants of that vehicle were killed.
 #1636779  by Bob Roberts

Based on this mysterious internet post (I have not evaluated its accuracy, these are the first Brightline Orlando ridership numbers I have seen), Brightline carried more passengers from MCO to South Florida than all airlines to all S Florida airports combined (MIA, FLL, PBI) in October. Nearly 80,000 rode Brightline from MCO to S Florida in the month of October. I believe this 80,000 was spread over 16 trains (in each direction) per day in October.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/orlando-to-south-96537219
 #1636917  by JohnFromJersey

Bob Roberts wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:15 am Based on this mysterious internet post (I have not evaluated its accuracy, these are the first Brightline Orlando ridership numbers I have seen), Brightline carried more passengers from MCO to South Florida than all airlines to all S Florida airports combined (MIA, FLL, PBI) in October. Nearly 80,000 rode Brightline from MCO to S Florida in the month of October. I believe this 80,000 was spread over 16 trains (in each direction) per day in October.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/orlando-to-south-96537219
Not sure where people are getting the numbers from, but I have been hearing numerous sources repeating this fact. It helps that Florida has gotten far fuller post-COVID, especially with people with money from up North, so more people with more money who don't want to drive = more passengers for Brightline

Brightline might blow ridership numbers out of the water in 2024 - we will have to see what happens. They really need to add more cars to the trainsets and lower prices a little bit, IMO.
 #1636962  by nomis

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:21 am Previously not reported here is Brightline's reporting mark:

BFLX

Such presumably represents Brightline, Florida, Private Owner.
Ironically, that reporting mark does not exist in ULMER.
 #1637348  by Gilbert B Norman

Planning out my this coming Sunday trip Miami to West Palm and return. I'm looking to take my "joyride" on Tri-Rail Miami Central to WP, however after Dinner at my "world favorite Italian restaurant", IL Bellagio, I'll take Brightline back; Coach will be fine.

I'm not disparaging this in the least, but Brightline is clearly establishing itself as the premium brand.

Fare Northbound on Tri-Rail $8.75; return on Brightline $49.

The days of the $10 "Disneyland Ride" are over - and more power to Brightline that they are.
 #1637356  by artman

Always exciting to see new service, however it happens.

This article has a good comparison between the two services:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/new ... 135143007/

Summary:

Tri-Rail takes a half hour longer (100 minutes vs 70). Tri-Rail service requires a transfer to a shuttle train at Hialeah to get to Miami Central.

Brightline morning fare is $34 one way vs $8.75, $4.25 for Seniors

The farebox recovery rate for Tri-Rail is about 10%. This means the operating cost for the $8.75 service is 10 times that, or around $88.

I think the Brightline is maybe not so much a premium service as a discount service! :grinning: