Railroad Forums 

• Brightline Bike Policy

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1629599  by JohnFromJersey

If they are repurposing the bike racks for more luggage space, that makes sense, since Brightline is going from a fancy commuter train, to true inter-city travel very soon. More of their passengers will be tourists who have a lot of luggage to move around, and less people who bring their bikes for their daily commute.

I can see why they ban e-bikes (cheap crappy lithium batteries made in China are a safety concern, look at all the issues they are causing with people charging them in apartments in places like NYC), but regular bikes doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, "fully assembled" leaves a lot to wonder. If I take the wheel off my bicycle, is it no longer fully assembled? Can I ride the train then? And what about folding bicycles? I have seen those become pretty popular recently. I saw a ton of people riding them in Florida during my last trip there in July.
 #1629624  by RandallW

Folding bikes under 48” in length and 30” in height are allowed and stowed as luggage. I'm wondering if Brightline has determined that the existing bike racks are not safe (people were struggling to secure bikes in the racks?) based on the statement "Our trains are not equipped to carry fully assembled bicycles safely – not even as a checked item."
 #1630169  by RandallW

I noticed in videos of the opening of the Orlando station that the spaces where bike racks were have the racks removed, but those spaces are also roped off against luggage and other use. This leaves me hopeful that Brightline is working on getting a replacement bike rack to install in that space, but determined that they couldn't safely allow the current racks to be used in the interim.