• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

by Noel Weaver

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Weaver, I "walked" Broward Blvd with Mr. Google as my guide.

It looks like a lot of traffic on it, but this is broad daylight. So if "there's something"I should lnow, please advise.

Here comes BNSF 1304 first leg.of my poor man's to O Hare
There is an overhead bridge over the station platform, that is Broward Blvd. To walk east you have to cross that bridge and that will requre a walk of two or three blocks west. There is a homeless camp (more or less) under the OH bridge next to the platform. Mostly fairly young but still homeless. They are stronger and much younger than we are and some of them might have weapons as well. Why take a chance to save bus or taxi cost? I don't know if it can be considered a "high crime" area but it could be a "moderate crime area" at least. Is it worth it to take a chance walking in this area, it would not be for me. You are safe at the station itself but outside of the immediate area of the station it is questionable at best.
Noel Weaver
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Marriott Biscayne Bay Miami

OK, I got a view of Miami Central arriving at Government Center from the Airport.

It is a long way from completion - it will happen someday, but not today.

Need more be said?
  by bostontrainguy

Another area we were always told to avoid was Overtown which is northwest of the Brightline Miami station. Unfortunately it is infamously known for high crime and drug use.

But in reality let's face it, because of this Brightline was able to build a huge "wall" along the edge of the neighborhood with noisy trains running two stories overhead.

Do you think it would have been possible to run a multi-track overhead train line into the downtown of any other major city? Try that in Boston or even Providence. Forget it.

Of course you need to add that this dividing "wall" and new multi train services have greatly appreciated the value of this land that has been a vacant undesirable desolate unsafe area for years. The trains are just the catalyst.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by Noel Weaver

bostontrainguy wrote:Another area we were always told to avoid was Overtown which is northwest of the Brightline Miami station. Unfortunately it is infamously know for high crime and drug use.

But in reality let's face it. Because of this Brightline was able to build a huge "wall" along the edge of the neighborhood with noisy trains running two stories overhead.

Do you think it would have been possible to run a multi-track overhead train line into the downtown of any other major city? Try that in Boston or even Providence. Forget it.

Of course you need to add that this dividing "wall" and new multi train services have greatly appreciated the value of this land that has been a vacant undesirable desolate unsafe area for years. The trains are just the catalyst.
Miami Central is where the original FEC passenger station was located until its destruction in 1963. Thank god they never got rid of that property nor the line between Little River and downtown or this project would have cost many dollars more. It has come a long way since I rode it on the Amtrak demonstration train back in 2010 when it was an out of use yard track, still in service but rarely ever used. Boy have we come a long way.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Government Center Metrorail--

Volks, another peek at Miami Central. They'e not running anything out of there for a long time. It's even more a construction site than it looked coming in yesterday.

Mr. Weaver, I take your thoughts to heart. If I see any situation. such as some kids standing around or anything else that makes me uncomfortable, time to "turn tail".
  by Gilbert B Norman

Now aboard Tri-Rail, I think I got a bit generous to the SFRTA. I bought Two Round Trips for $10 thinking I was buying One Ways.

Car 1005 could be in "a bit better shape".
  by Gilbert B Norman

The walk from Tri Rail to Brightline took 35 minutes and, even if it went by places such as Salvation Army adult center was without incident. I just kept moving looking like I knew where I was and where I was going.

Looks like the 125P train will be Bright Green

The FTL station is new and clean. There is a party within sight who appear to actually look like they are using it from point Eh to Bee.

Everyone appears well dressed, but not coat and tie. It sort of feels like I'm at an airport sixty years ago.

I thought the ticketing procedures were a bit cumbersome. No cash!!!

I'm going Coach North, Business return.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Aboard the return

Definitely the better. Single seat, forward riding , comp Grape Juice. This is a class act.
  by bostontrainguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Aboard the return

Definitely the better. Single seat, forward riding , comp Grape Juice. This is a class act.
So is the seating permanently facing half forward and half backwards? Maybe temporary until it gets up and running to Orlando? I really hate riding backwards.

Also, grape juice in Florida! Do they offer OJ?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Aboard Tri-Rail P696

The Brightline seating is fixed; riding North got me a headache. The return in Business was forward riding.

They indeed had OJ available, but I prefer Grape Juice when "the sun has X'd the yardarm".
  by chrsjrcj

Mr. Norman,

Glad you were able to make the trip and it sounds like you enjoyed it. No matter your beliefs on the financial future of Brightline, you can't deny that this is probably one of the best intercity trains in the country.

I agree with your assessment of MiamiCentral. I was down there Tuesday night, and although they have come a long way since I last saw it in August '17, they have a ways yet to go.

On the topic of Tri-Rail: I'm assuming car 1005 is one of the Bombardier cars. I do agree that they are in desperate need of refurbishment. The new Hyundai-Rotem cars are a lot nicer (as far as commuter equipment goes). Also, $5 to ride Tri-Rail all day Saturday/Sunday is not a bad deal, and will be even better when they finally link up to MiamiCentral.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Aboard United 330 (on the ground) MIA

ABSOLUTELY It's a Class Act. I think it even exceeds Acela.

As I noted, "something gonna happen" at Delray Beach, don't want it to, but it's a recipe for trouble.

As for Miami Central, which thanks to Metrorail, I was looking at much longer than expected, it's not gonna be ready anytime soon (gotta go ramp is pulled)
  by Noel Weaver

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Aboard United 330 (on the ground) MIA

ABSOLUTELY It's a Class Act. I think it even exceeds Acela.

As I noted, "something gonna happen" at Delray Beach, don't want it to, but it's a recipe for trouble.

As for Miami Central, which thanks to Metrorail, I was looking at much longer than expected, it's not gonna be ready anytime soon (gotta go ramp is pulled)
I am glad you found something positive here. It is indeed a "class act". Miami Central will take a while loonger but the end result will be worth waiting for. By running what they do now the whole system should be well prepared for expansion which will come. I am riding it again this coming Saturday.
Noel Weaver
  by Arlington

For many transit and airport projects there are 3 kinds of done:
1) Done on the inside (platforms/gates open for business)
2) Done on the outside (no visible scaffolding/falsework/tarps)
3) Substantially Complete (all done except for punch lists of items inside or out)

Is it possible that Miami Central will be open for rail ops before it looks it from the outside?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Aboard BNSF 1245 - last leg of my "poor man's way from O'Hare"

I'm sorry to report Mr. Arlington, Miami Central does not meet any of your criteria. I'm not certain if rail has been laid on the completed elevated structures.

My guess is a year - hardly the "this quarter" the West Palm Station Mistress was saying. She is a "fiftysomething" gal named Nancy and "it's more than a job" to her. I didn't want to dash her hopes but I think they need a year. The staff, on board and station, are young and enthusiastic. I want it to work, but fancy trains and stations and great staff do not make a sound business plan.