Railroad Forums 

• Breaking News!!! SD9's to be renumbered

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#267993  by GN 599

Okay probably not that big of a deal, but. I was checking the stats on some of my favorite SD-9's on our computer and found out that the SD-9's are going to be renumbered from 6100 series to 1700 series. My assumption is to make room for new ace's and such. I wonder how many SD-9's will make renumbering. Most websites are not updated. As an employee we have access to info on our locomotives. Most websites list 6100-6199. There are only 50 or so left and 1/3 of those are laid up in various states. It will be interesting to see how much longer they keep em around, sadly I think time is running out. However CB&Q's first SD-9, BNSF #6127 is still out racking up miles, as other GN and C&S models not to mention some of the second hand ones picked up from MK. Catch em while you can, as all of the GP-9's are out of service, exept the B units. BNSF 1600, nee NP 202 bit the dust in May with a grounded main generator cable on the neg side. Oh yeah I guess I forgot the Santa Fe GP-9's, I will have to look to see how many are left.

#269131  by U-Haul

The SD9 that is numbered 1701 should be named Enterprise. What about the SD7s, GP7u's, and what is to become of BNSF 16OO?

STAR TREK 40TH ANNIVERSARY

#269205  by GOLDEN-ARM

I saw an honest to goodness CF-7, a few weeks ago, out here in Clovis. I was certain they were all sold, back in the early nineties. Occasionally catch an SD-9, running in a stack train, here as well!!! Only on the BNSF............. :-D

#269527  by Wanderer

I'm pretty sure they are opening up the 6100's for another GEvo order. The 6000 series order is under delivery now. The confirmed 30 unit SD70ACe order is rumored to go into 8990-9019. I again emphasize rumored.

#269684  by GN 599

The 1600 will probably be sold off, probably to NRE, that seems to be where they all go. The BN retired the SD-7's in 1983, although we have a rebuilt B&O SD-7 thats classified as an SD-9. There are a few CF-7's left. The Santa FE GP-7u's I havent seen alot of, only in the dead line at Pasco, which is now cleaned out. There are still some old BN GP10's which are rebuilt GP-7's, I always forget about them. Also the three GP-9B's that are left that are 1700-1703. There were four, one of which was sold a couple of years ago. That makes three, one is LUGO, one running is an old NP GP-9 and the other oddly enough used to be the GN 666.... :P

#269840  by GN 599

The 1700 and 1701 are former NP 267 and 323. The 1703 (GN 666) is laid up good order. Thought I would correct my last post.
 #299402  by amtrakhogger

I have heard that the occaisional BNSF SD9's find there way into run thru
service on other roads.

#299586  by GOLDEN-ARM

U-Haul wrote:The last CF7 on a class one railroad was in the late 1980s (1987 or 1988) on the Atchison Topeka Santa Fe. I guess trainpixs is a bit outdated since it lists most GP9As and GP7u's in active service.
http://www.trainpix.com/bnsf/ROSTER.HTM
dig that ATSF logo on the slug.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=8270
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=126692
The regular assigned engine out of Amarillo, for the short-turn local, is a GP-35, and a CF-7. Still running there, "T", whether that railfan site believes it, or not. I see it several times a week, coming into, and departing, Clovis. It's one of the real old ones, with the rounded nose outline, being seen in the front platform, with the cast buffer still intact
(have run enough of those junkers, to know what one is, too) Will post a pic, when I snap one. Regards

#299721  by Leo_Ames

There haven't been any CF7's on the roster in almost 20 years.

Likely what you guys are seeing is a Geep that has been rebuilt with a new cab that looks like a CF7 cab.

#322205  by GOLDEN-ARM

Leo_Ames wrote:There haven't been any CF7's on the roster in almost 20 years.

Likely what you guys are seeing is a Geep that has been rebuilt with a new cab that looks like a CF7 cab.
Thanks BNSF, for also adding a cast, round buffer plate, on the front of the loco, same as a F unit. Thanks for exactly copying the Cleburn cabs. Thanks for the identical CF carbody, down to the last bolt, and welds. Thanks BNSF, going the "extra mile", in duplicating every single identifying feature, for a loco that hasn't been on the roster, for 20 years!!!! You guys are the best!!!! Got any plans, to exactly duplicate any Alcos, in the next wave of rebuilds? :P

#322619  by Engineer James

Id like too see those! LMAO

#322916  by Bryanjones

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:
Leo_Ames wrote:There haven't been any CF7's on the roster in almost 20 years.

Thanks BNSF, for also adding a cast, round buffer plate, on the front of the loco, same as a F unit. Thanks for exactly copying the Cleburn cabs. Thanks for the identical CF carbody, down to the last bolt, and welds. Thanks BNSF, going the "extra mile", in duplicating every single identifying feature, for a loco that hasn't been on the roster, for 20 years!!!! You guys are the best!!!! Got any plans, to exactly duplicate any Alcos, in the next wave of rebuilds? :P
its a fact, there are no CF7's on BNSF. The last CF7's on the ATSF were retired atleast 20 years ago. Get a photo of this unit and that will settle things really quick. Whats the road number? What paintscheme is it in? BNSF still rosters former ATSF GP7's and GP9's, but no CF7's.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY