Railroad Forums 

• Brattle Loop in service (temporarily)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1639605  by Bill D

I was visiting Boston yesterday and was curious about how Green Line service was operating in the subway. E Trains are running the full route between Medford / Tufts and Heath Street. D service is being operated (on the northern end) between Union Square and Government Center, utilizing the Brattle Loop and platform. Service was being provided by single Type 9 cars. I am guessing that this will continue until the current track work project is finished on March 8th. If anyone is looking to ride or get pictures / videos of the loop in service, now is the time.

Bill

ImageCSC_0109 by Bill D, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0064 by Bill D, on Flickr
 #1639652  by MBTAVideoClips

Yeah I rode it on it's second day in regular use. It's pretty cool to ride but why don't they extend the D down to Copley? There's a crossover and everything down there. Park-Copley only has the E atm and even with its increased frequencies it isn't enough to sustain the central subway ridership
 #1639753  by NaugyRR

Great photos guys, I love the last one!
 #1639863  by MBTA3247

As best I can determine, the last regularly scheduled service on the Brattle Loop was a short-lived shuttle between there and North Station that ended in 1952, which served as a replacement for the subway service lost when the surface car lines from the loop to Sullivan Square were abandoned. Does anyone know if there have been periods since then like the current one of temporary service to the loop caused by diversions elsewhere on the Green Line?
 #1639909  by theMainer

MBTAVideoClips wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 am Yeah I rode it on it's second day in regular use. It's pretty cool to ride but why don't they extend the D down to Copley? There's a crossover and everything down there. Park-Copley only has the E atm and even with its increased frequencies it isn't enough to sustain the central subway ridership
The out of service track area begins immediately after the Huntington Avenue switch at Copley. Therefore the turnback switches are inaccessible.
 #1639995  by The EGE

MBTA3247 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:40 pm As best I can determine, the last regularly scheduled service on the Brattle Loop was a short-lived shuttle between there and North Station that ended in 1952, which served as a replacement for the subway service lost when the surface car lines from the loop to Sullivan Square were abandoned. Does anyone know if there have been periods since then like the current one of temporary service to the loop caused by diversions elsewhere on the Green Line?
Government Center-Lechmere shuttles ran at several points afterwards. When the North Station trestles were destroyed by fires in 1984, the Fitchburg and Lowell (and very briefly the Ipswich/Rockport) used a temporary terminal about where the skate park is now located. All peak Lechmere service was operated as shuttles; this persisted for a bit even after North Station reopened in 1985.
 #1640156  by MBTA3247

Where would they have run a shuttle to while North Station was being relocated?