Railroad Forums 

• branch line to Cog from Mt Division?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#559709  by NRGeep

Was there ever a branch from the Mountain Div to the Cog? If there was, is there a passable public trail on the former ROW? Thanks.
 #559726  by NHN503

In 1876 a line from Faybans to the Base lodge was built, and the B&M ran up it. I dunno if you can still see the ROW, or if what is now Base Rd is the ROW.
 #559781  by dcm74

According to Lost Railroads of New England the line actually ran from Bethlehem Junction via Fabyans to Base (of the Cog RR). The line was officially abandoned in 1932.
 #559940  by ferroequinarchaeologist

There was a branch from Fabyans to the Base Station. Technically, it did not begin at Bethlehem Junction; that was a different line. The right of way is quite easy to follow. My wife and I have walked most of the length within the past couple of years, when we stayed at the Mt. Washington Hotel.

The hotel might get a bit picky about your following the entire right of way if you're not a hotel guest, since the row runs behind the Stickney Chapel, through the middle of their golf course, and then through the woods on a XC ski trail named (ta-da!) B&M Trail.

You can access it from the road to the new Base Station at the Upper Falls of the Ammonoosuc. Easy to find - just look for all the parked cars.

PBM
 #560001  by eriemike

There is a small delapitaed RR trestle on the Base Station Branch that crosses the Ammousuc(sp?) River. It is a short walk from the Mt. Washington Cog Railway shops The ROW crosses at an angle across the Base Station road not far after you leave the Cog. Once on the other side of the road it soon runs right through a parking lot for one of the trails. It is much easier to find during the fall or winter when there is no leaves. During the summer, it was a bear to find.
 #560046  by CarterB

Was the branch from Fabyan to base originally part of the B&M or was it chartered under a different name? "Profile and Franconia Notch"? or "White Mountains Railroad" both three foot guage?
 #560229  by NEWanderer

ferroequinarchaeologist wrote:There was a branch from Fabyans to the Base Station. Technically, it did not begin at Bethlehem Junction; that was a different line. The right of way is quite easy to follow. My wife and I have walked most of the length within the past couple of years, when we stayed at the Mt. Washington Hotel.

The hotel might get a bit picky about your following the entire right of way if you're not a hotel guest, since the row runs behind the Stickney Chapel, through the middle of their golf course, and then through the woods on a XC ski trail named (ta-da!) B&M Trail.

You can access it from the road to the new Base Station at the Upper Falls of the Ammonoosuc. Easy to find - just look for all the parked cars.

PBM
In the winter a Nordic Center pass is a much cheaper way to follow a large portion of it than a hotel stay, and much of the hotel property is groomed for skiing. Also a portion of the active Mountain Division is parallel-groomed by the Nordic Center. In general the ski trails do a good job identifying, with plaques, native flora and fauna along the way. A brief description of the historical significance of the trail names would be nice. Some guests are bewildered by the "Boston and Maine" name.
 #560334  by ferroequinarchaeologist

>>Was the branch from Fabyan to base originally part of the B&M or was it chartered under a different name?

It was originally an extension of the Boston, Concord and Montreal from Wing Road through Fabyans, reaching Base Station 1n 1876. It became part of the Boston & Lowell in 1884, then Concord & Montreal in 1889, then Boston & Maine in 1895.

For anybody who likes to hike/ski old railbeds, this part of New Hampshire - along US 302 from North Conway to Littleton - is a playground.

PBM
 #563598  by b&m 1566

I don't know the location site but the Mt. Washington Hotel did have its own station. I believe the station was called Bretton Woods but don't quote me on the name. Also the ROW is still visible from satellite photos. Though it is very faded if you have the patience you can trace it. The only place I wasn't sure about was the area near the hotel, specifically the golf course but up until now (since it was confirmed on this thread) I know that faded line just below Fairway Dr on both sided of the main entrance is the old right of way. I'm wondering if that's where the station stood too.
For those of you that don't know; the Cog Railroad was owned by the B&M for a short period of time (I don't know the exact years) and I've been told the B&M was the one responsible for converting the Cog from a wood to coal.
 #563728  by ferroequinarchaeologist

There were two Bretton Woods stations. One on the MEC was behind the Mount Pleasant House, or roughly where the motel is now, and the other was in front of the MPH, about where Route 302 is today. From that station the row curved past the Stickney Chapel, made a big loop through the golf course, and went into the woods on today's B&M Trail to more-or-less parallel the Ammonoosuc River tp the Base Station. In exploring the area, keep in mind that the elevation of Route 302 is quite a bit higher than the old B&M roadbed.

The are pix of the Bretton Woods stations on Gary LaPointe's website, Railroad Stations of New Hampshire.

PBM
 #564020  by pipeman32

the railway ran straight to the woods according to a photo at the mount washington hotel. the curve was at stickney chapel.ther was also a line that followed the river closely to the hotel boiler house. there are remains of a wooden bridge from that directly behind the hotel. that coal line,of which i once saw a photo, was removed prior to 1932 i believe.the old base road(somewhat extant) preceded the railway. any new info or pics, would be greatly appreciated.
 #564025  by pipeman32

the rail to base station was standard gauge. the first mogul was built for this steep line. this is not near franconia. the bridge below base station is over franklin brook.
 #564560  by cogger

b&m 1566 wrote: For those of you that don't know; the Cog Railroad was owned by the B&M for a short period of time (I don't know the exact years) and I've been told the B&M was the one responsible for converting the Cog from a wood to coal.
The B&M owned if from about 1895 to 1930.