Railroad Forums 

• Boston Locomotive Fire

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#63430  by CRail

I heared a couple of weeks ago there was a fire in Amtrak's south station engine terminal. The FD had the engine pulled out of the shed for it to be extinguished. I figure it was a toaster but i really dont know. Anyone know more on the subject???

#63542  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i havent heard anything like that, maybe Snoozer or CSX conductor will know, i'll ask my engineer friend about it tomorrow
 #63613  by AEM7AC920

CRail wrote:I heared a couple of weeks ago there was a fire in Amtrak's south station engine terminal. The FD had the engine pulled out of the shed for it to be extinguished. I figure it was a toaster but i really dont know. Anyone know more on the subject???

Toaster huh? I wouldn't be very suprized if it was one of the GP40MC's also since they like to fire things up sometimes.

#63670  by CSX Conductor

First I've heard of it, sorry.

Only recent problem that I heard of was train #172 was disabled in Mansfield on Friday (10-22-04).

#63749  by CRail

I have never seen an amtrak GP40MC in boston, or anywhere else for that matter. The only reason I figure it was a toaster is because the have burned up a few times in the past. The only other think i can think of is a P42. An acela / HHP-8 would really suck!

#63751  by CSX Conductor

They are rare, because they used to be assigned to yard service sometimes, and now you don't have a yard engine pulling a train back to Southhampton as often as you used to years ago. :wink:

#63765  by astrosa

Guys, the GP40MC is the MBTA version with the wide-cab. I think that's what AEM7AC920 was talking about - don't forget, Amtrak isn't alone in serving South Station!

Amtrak's version was the GP40TC, now called GP40H, and I understand they're being rebuilt and repainted into the new paint scheme. Like CSX Conductor said, before they were pulled from service, it was very common to see one of them (usually 522 (192) or 525 (197) if I got those numbers right) sitting in the station for switching duties if needed.

#63945  by AEM7AC920

astrosa wrote:Guys, the GP40MC is the MBTA version with the wide-cab. I think that's what AEM7AC920 was talking about - don't forget, Amtrak isn't alone in serving South Station!

Amtrak's version was the GP40TC, now called GP40H, and I understand they're being rebuilt and repainted into the new paint scheme. Like CSX Conductor said, before they were pulled from service, it was very common to see one of them (usually 522 (192) or 525 (197) if I got those numbers right) sitting in the station for switching duties if needed.
Thanks for backing me up I was talking about the MBTA GP40MC not the Amtrak GP40TC. There have been some cases of the GP40MC's having fires so i figured that it could of been one of them.

#64137  by CRail

I was just wondering if anyone had more info on it

#64207  by AEM7AC920

MBTA if you did find out maybe one of us will remember when we head out for BET on monday.
 #64450  by GP40MC 1116

Just wanted to try and clear up some stuff for you out their. I dispatch for a Fire buff paging group IPN.. Here is what one of the dispatchers put out:

Boston | 1 Alarm Fire | 483.1875 | Box 7281 - 2 Frontage Rd | Report of a Locomotive Explosion inside Amtrak Maint Facility Track 4. FD o/s has Smoke Showing. | MAS238

2004-10-19
00:11

Hope It Helps

Bernie Kennedy

FF- Sanbornton NH Fire
Incident Page Net Dispatcher- NHA037