Railroad Forums 

• BO-1, LOSA, LO-1

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#249406  by GP40MC 1116

I was heading to Lowell this afternoon on MBCR 325, I forget exactly but somewhere around West Medford or Wedgemere Guilford I think it may have been L0-1 passed us going into the City with 2 Loco's and only about 4 or so cars. I know it wasn't B0-1 because that was tied down behind BET as it's usually is. When we got to Lowell, saw GRS B&M 332 sitting on the yard their. Not sure if that was LO-1 and the train MBCR 325 passed was LOSA? Not sure, hopefully someone can direct me with the correct answers

#249509  by l008com

LOSA is usually after 9PM... DOBO after that, so I don't know what you saw.

#249686  by GP40MC 1116

l008com wrote:LOSA is usually after 9PM... DOBO after that, so I don't know what you saw.
You got me as well, me and the other railfanins I was with on MBCR 325 were shocked to see it going, because we knew it wasn't LO-1, that was parked in Lowell, and as u said it wasn't LOSA. And i don't think BO-1 ventures out on the Lowell branch at all. It was very odd though because it has 2 locomotives and only 3-5 cars with it. Your guess is as good as mine

#249692  by mick

Could have been LO-1, BO-1, LA-1 or even AY-1, AY-R, FI-1, or NA-1
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #249774  by GP40MC1118

That was LA-1 you saw. One engine was already dead and the ST 216
died while switching Rothsteins in Woburn. The engineer managed
to revive the 216 enough to get in the clear there.

The crew was taxied back to Lowell. LOSA picked everything up that
night...

Dave
 #253458  by GP40MC 1116

GP40MC1118 wrote:That was LA-1 you saw. One engine was already dead and the ST 216

night...

Dave

When a GRS engine "Dies" arround Metro Boston, what happens Dave? Is it tacked onto a freight heading out or put on BODO and left arround Dover? Just wondering. I know I usually don't see other stuff @ BET becides just MBTA, and who knows Amtrak but thats RARE
 #253469  by GP40MC1118

LOSA/SALO usually swap out BO-1's power. Sometimes BO-1 will run its
engine to Lawrence or Lowell and swap it out themselves.

BET used to do wheel work for other railroads, but not anymore as far
as I know. It wasn't often, but they have done some Conrail and Amtrak
units.

D
 #256842  by GP40MC 1116

GP40MC1118 wrote:LOSA/SALO usually swap out BO-1's power. Sometimes BO-1 will run its
engine to Lawrence or Lowell and swap it out themselves.

BET used to do wheel work for other railroads, but not anymore as far
as I know. It wasn't often, but they have done some Conrail and Amtrak
units.

D
I heard from some people, and i think Guilford has a power crunch. Is it possible to "borrow" or lease other loco's?

#258162  by stevefoley

so does anyone know what was heading north thru W Medford today at 12:56pm - I just caught the headlight of a Guilford engine.

#258166  by GP40MC 1116

stevefoley wrote:so does anyone know what was heading north thru W Medford today at 12:56pm - I just caught the headlight of a Guilford engine.
Was it a Lite engine or did it have a train with it?
 #258257  by GP40MC1118

That was BO-1 with MEC 380 headed north to Lowell. One way trip.

D

#258455  by stevefoley

ok -thanks. I didn't get a chance to see if it was lite engine, since I saw the gates go up as I approached the crossing, and the lights on the engine as it headed north. But I assumed it was likely lite, rather than tailing. I guess its common for BO-1's power to head to Lowell for the weekend, given it's off duty and GRS has a power crunch?
 #267086  by l008com

GP40MC1118 wrote:That was LA-1 you saw. One engine was already dead and the ST 216

night...

Dave
But... why was LA-1 switching Rothsteins in Woburn? Isn't that LOSA's job?
 #267090  by GP40MC1118

I can't remember the specifics, but it was likely either "hot cars" that needed to be spotted by a certain time or the fact there was no LOSA the previous night. There was a stretch that month where LOSA ran only once or twice a week due to power problems or crew shortages.

At any rate, LA-1 has working limits to Boston, so they can be sent all over the place.

Even tonight, there is no power in Somerville for BO-1 and LOSA is not running tonight (so far). So it looks like BO-1's crew will taxi to Lowell or
Lawrence or somewhere for their power.

D

#267091  by l008com

I always just assumed, when I saw freight in woburn, it was either a gravel train DOBO, or it was LOSA :-D I'm not crazy enough that I track locomotive numbers......

YET.