Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#900918  by trietsch

I received a contingent offer with BNSF as a conductor trainee. I have passed all medical testing, drug testing, background testing etc. Have done everything they called and had me do. School is supposed to start March 1st. In the beginning of the process everything was done very quickly. I have not heard anything since Feb 2nd. Does this mean that they are not hiring here anymore or are they just taking their time. Any help would be appreciated !
 #902264  by GN 599

It usually takes a few weeks to find out the results. If they cancel the class they will let you know.
 #906652  by jz441

trietsch wrote:I received a contingent offer with BNSF as a conductor trainee. I have passed all medical testing, drug testing, background testing etc. Have done everything they called and had me do. School is supposed to start March 1st. In the beginning of the process everything was done very quickly. I have not heard anything since Feb 2nd. Does this mean that they are not hiring here anymore or are they just taking their time. Any help would be appreciated !
What location?
If they told you at the interview that they are planning to run a class on March 1st, that is just a projected date and it's subject to change.
 #906866  by cr8tive1

jz441...I am attending the Conductor Trainee, Los Angeles, hiring session, this coming week, and was curious as to what you might be willing to share regarding the work at that terminal (i.e. yard vs. road, risk of furlough, possibility for advancement to Engineer). The position is one of Primary Recall, by the way, and I have not been able to ascertain if this would impact any movement towards Engineer certification.

I will enquire regarding most of this during the interview, should I make it that far, but your personal insight regarding what I believe to be your home terminal would be appreciated.

Thank you.
 #906995  by jz441

cr8tive1 wrote:jz441...I am attending the Conductor Trainee, Los Angeles, hiring session, this coming week, and was curious as to what you might be willing to share regarding the work at that terminal (i.e. yard vs. road, risk of furlough, possibility for advancement to Engineer). The position is one of Primary Recall, by the way, and I have not been able to ascertain if this would impact any movement towards Engineer certification.
cr8tive1,

Los Angeles is a very good place to work. There is a great variety of jobs, yard and road. There is no fear of furlough any more. If you run out of options, they will place you on the retention board that pays $2000/month + benefits to sit at home or do something else on the side. By the time your class finishes training you will be able to work, but expect to spend a few months on the retention board at the beginning of next year. Traffic always drops off after Christmas.
As far as advancing to the engineer, that may take some time unless the economy turns for better... Once the economy is in full swing we will need at least 100 engineers overnight. It took me 5 years to get behind the throttle. Don't stress to much at the interview about becoming an engineer, or they may not hire you. They are hiring conductors, not engineers. If they ask you how do you feel about becoming an engineer down the line, don't say "I can't wait!" Answer something like: "That sounds like a pretty good job"...

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
JZ
 #907403  by cr8tive1

JZ,

Thank you for the response. Your words are, indeed, very helpful.

I have no intention of mentioning any interest in the Engineer position, unless, as suggested, the interviewers make the suggestion or enquire about my chosen career path if I am offered the Conductor position. My focus is on the Conductor position, nothing more, and I am not approaching it as little more than a stepping-stone. It is what I wish to do and if I remain doing this for years to come, I will be satisfied. I just always happen to have my eyes open for opportunities, and coming from a management background, I simply wish to be ready for any questions or considerations regarding my future plans with BNSF, should I be graced with a conditional offer.

BNSF had posted two Los Angeles hiring sessions, late last year. Do you know what became of these classes? Just curious as to how the process functions.

On a side note, do you know if there is any manner of safe egress from the Commerce MetroLink station to the BNSF offices located near the end of Sheila, just north of the station? While I've a feeling I will be driving, it would be nice to know if there remains a viable transportation option (with an 08:00 session, I'm not sure I have much choice but to drive in the wonderful Los Angeles rush-hour traffic...yes, I plan to depart very early to ensure a timely arrival).

Cheers!
 #907463  by jz441

cr8tive1 wrote:JZ,BNSF had posted two Los Angeles hiring sessions, late last year. Do you know what became of these classes? Just curious as to how the process functions.
That class just finished their 6th week of training. The entire course is 13 weeks.

cr8tive1 wrote:On a side note, do you know if there is any manner of safe egress from the Commerce MetroLink station to the BNSF offices located near the end of Sheila, just north of the station? While I've a feeling I will be driving, it would be nice to know if there remains a viable transportation option (with an 08:00 session, I'm not sure I have much choice but to drive in the wonderful Los Angeles rush-hour traffic...yes, I plan to depart very early to ensure a timely arrival).
Cheers!
Unfortunately, there is no safe way to cross from Commerce station, and you certainly don't want to get caught trespassing coming to a hiring session. The best way is to drive. Arrive early, get a breakfast and you will be good. Those who arrive late will not get a chance to attend.
Where is the hiring session going to be? Is it at Commerce Mechanical facility?
 #907532  by cr8tive1

BNSF Office at 6300 East Sheila Street, is all I've been provided.

I appreciate the breakfast suggestion. You thought process is in alignment with my own.

I will give your PM some consideration and very much appreciate the offer (I cannot yet return a PM, being too new to this forum).

Cheers!
 #907935  by cr8tive1

jz441 wrote:cr8tive1,

I just sent you a PM...
I've just left you a message on your cell. If you wish to try e-mail, please feel free.
 #909675  by westex33

I recieved the conditional offer from BNSF for a track laborer. I have completed everything. I got an email today titled BNSF Medical Determination. It says based on my BMI they need more information to determine if I'm healthy or not. It also states that it you choose to supply this information they will reevaluate your condition, but it's not a guarantee they will qualify you for the job. They are asking for several differant things including: sleep study, labs from a physician like choelesterol, etc, waist measurements, cardiac info, etc. Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, were you able to supply them with enough info to still get the job???? I am in my early thirties, 6'5"...I am not out of shape and have always worked very physical jobs. I could just stand to lose some weight and work on my blood measure a bit. I am on meds, but it was a little high during my physical. Anyways, any tips or ideas of what to do from anyone would be helpful!!

Thanks!
 #909774  by AEM7AC920

I have no experience with BNSF but in dealing with railroad physicals from past experience I would say go to your primary care doctor get them the info they are looking for and if your primary care Dr thinks you are healthy enough for the job then have him write a letter as well to submit. I know of a few people that had problems like diabetes/over weight and were completely healthy otherwise but the dr giving the physical for the railroad would not sign off unless he had a letter from the primary dr stating that everything else was good otherwise which is understandable because the Dr giving you the physical for the R.R has no idea on how your track record is as far as health wise other then what you check in the boxes.
 #909808  by cr8tive1

jz441,

I've received a conditional offer for the position, which came as a pleasant surprise, as I did not believe I interviewed very well. The class begins 25 April, with the next one starting in July, so I would have some seniority once that class is completed (not much, but some).

With this in mind, as well as an awful lot of consideration which has been taking place since the hiring session, I seek another dose of reality regarding the actual hours and lifestyle, when time permits (hopefully, you recall our conversation).

I realize there are many who would give anything to be in my position, but still, the decision remains difficult, for even once I believe I have come to a conclusion, I find myself wavering (such as when I found the e-mail offer upon returning home from work at 02:00).

I appreciate your input and, I imagine, so will others who read your words.

Best regards.
 #909838  by steamguy

Having watched a relative deal with his railroad's medical department I can pretty much assure you that unless you give them EXACTLY what they asked you, they'll simply discard your application and forget that you ever existed. If they asked for a sleep study, then no doctor's letter saying you're healthy is going to matter. They are very, very literal minded. So take their letter to your doctor, and get EVERYTHING they asked for. Alternatively, forget it.