Railroad Forums 

• Bay Colony Millis Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1347143  by craven

The line is single track except for a 200 yd long double switch siding located under the RT 27 Bridge.

So the 1701 would have had to move East down the line, pull the cars West up to the second siding switch, run East down the siding and back on the line, and push West to Island Road. Then return East to nest at the Medfield Waste Water Treatment Plant/Animal Shelter. Obviously, the reverse will take place to move the cars to the secondary switch.

That's a lot of moves to deliver (6) cars. The Folks in Millis, who complained about the nest by the old GAF factory are costing the Bay Colony a lot of Time ( $$$$).
 #1347197  by GP40MC1118

The cars were delivered Wednesday and already emptied. Hearing that
this coming Wednesday might see some activity.

What was the problem with the nest? An engine shutdown except for as needed
moves? Lord! They just want the railroad gone - correct?

D
 #1349243  by craven

Update Sat. 19 Sep.

The Spur is clear of cars.

The boarded up 1701 in her new location by the Medfield Waste Water Treatment Plant/Animal Shelter.
 #1349307  by MaineCoonCat

GP40MC1118 wrote:The cars were delivered Wednesday and already emptied. Hearing that
this coming Wednesday might see some activity.

What was the problem with the nest? An engine shutdown except for as needed
moves? Lord! They just want the railroad gone - correct?

D
I may be wrong but could the new location be saving any time in the current operations?
 #1350426  by craven

Update Sat. 26 Sep.

The boarded up 1701 in her new location by the Medfield Waste Water Treatment Plant/Animal Shelter.
 #1356523  by craven

Update Sat. 07 Nov.

#1359047  by boatsmate

Saw pictures on line this week on FB showing the tracks all gone on the Needham end of the branch around Fisher st and Charles River st. one of the pictures was looking up past the old station between fisher st and Charles river st, as far as I could see the track where gone headed toward Junction. pictures where dated Nov 25...... (sorry don't have a link to them that I can share was a private group on FB that has the pictures)
 #1359168  by craven

That is correct. Note post from July 18th. Track remains from The Charles river crossing into Dover to the secondary switch in Medfield.
 #1361136  by craven

Update Sat. 12 Dec..

(6) Full cars staged on The Spur by the switch on the secondary.

NAHX 94491
CRDX 30665
NAHX 93844
NAHX 94241
NAHX 94564
NAHX 94733

There must be a move planned this weekend to place these cars by Island Road for Monday morning off-loading.

Also of note, A lot of work being done on the Secondary by the switch. New ties being installed from the Sherborn/Medfield Charles River Bridge Crossing over Hospital Road down to W. Mill St.. Track equipment all along that stretch.
 #1361179  by charding

…although there is a separate thread for this activity, anyone think the track work will continue along the secondary to/thru Walpole to Mansfield? Can't remember any such level of track work on this line since I-don't-know-when. Anything to boost rail activity in my hometown, Walpole. I remember growing up and watching the troop trains under steam pound across that diamond on this line…for a four-year-old, took my breathe away…ah, those were the days...
 #1361193  by MaineCoonCat

charding wrote:…although there is a separate thread for this activity, anyone think the track work will continue along the secondary to/thru Walpole to Mansfield? Can't remember any such level of track work on this line since I-don't-know-when. Anything to boost rail activity in my hometown, Walpole. I remember growing up and watching the troop trains under steam pound across that diamond on this line…for a four-year-old, took my breathe away…ah, those were the days...
Saw them working in Sherborn on Thursday off Coolidge St..
 #1361248  by F-line to Dudley via Park

charding wrote:…although there is a separate thread for this activity, anyone think the track work will continue along the secondary to/thru Walpole to Mansfield? Can't remember any such level of track work on this line since I-don't-know-when. Anything to boost rail activity in my hometown, Walpole. I remember growing up and watching the troop trains under steam pound across that diamond on this line…for a four-year-old, took my breathe away…ah, those were the days...
Yes. Condition of the sale to MassDOT is sprucing things up a bit on the end-to-end state of repair. Mainly the grade crossings, which CSX couldn't ever be bothered to maintain.
 #1361281  by craven

1701 is still parked by the Medfield Waste Water Treatment Plant/Animal Shelter. No movement on Saturday.

Does anyone have access to Bay Colony RR dispatching to find out when a move is planned?