Railroad Forums 

• Barilla Pasta to build in Avon

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#223083  by railwatcher

from the Rochester D&C:

(March 10, 2006) — Barilla America and Jacobson Warehouse Company Inc. will spend $96.2 million to build a pasta plant and warehouse and distribution center in the village of Avon, Livingston County.

Over three years, the companies will create at least 121 jobs, they said this morning at a press conference.

The deal was brokered by Livingston County Development Group, a collaboration of more than two dozen organizations. Barilla, part of the Parma, Italy-based Barilla Group, will invest $87.7 million for the 100,000-square-foot plant. Jacobson plans to invest $8.5 million in a 200,000-square-foot warehouse and distribution center at a 49-acre site north of Routes 5 & 20.

Avon already is home to a Kraft plant that makes Cool Whip and Lunchables.

The companies will break ground in June and expect to start production in June 2007.

"We sought a location that felt like a home away from home," said Barilla America President Kirk Trofholz in a statement. "Parma, Italy, has been our home for almost 125 years, ever since Pietro Barilla opened his small pasta and bread shop. We were looking for a community that would provide the same hometown feel as Parma, as well as the right mix of benefits. We found all of that in Avon."

<snip -ov>

This should be a great addition to Avon business and will probably add a great amount of business to the LAL.

Greg
 #223301  by Matt Langworthy

WROC 950AM reported that in addition to the 121 jobs created at the plant, another 170 jobs will be created at companies doing business with the Barilla plant, including truck drivers and rail crews. Obviously, the plant will bring traffic to LAL, but how will it affect their operations? Will their trains increase in length, frequency or both?

I realize this may be avery early stage to ask such questions, but the possibilities are intriguing...

#224570  by stilson4283

This is great news for the LA&L, I also hear that the LA&L is doing a welded rail poject on the railroad starting this summer.

The downfall of this is that it will be harder to railfan with alco's doing 50+mph

Chris
 #226557  by Matt Langworthy

Just imagine the roar of the Alcos with faster track speeds...

#244925  by Alcoman

Any progrss on this project? Ground Breaking yet?

#245057  by Luther Brefo

Well I've heard that track speed will stick closer to 25 MPH becuase of the grades and curves.

The ties that have been coming down the line are to replace those that are currently in place.

#245058  by Luther Brefo

" For its part, the LAL expects to invest a significant amount of money to expand the Avon Yard and to build turnouts to serve the plant. In short, the LAL once again proved its worth as an economic development asset. "

#259097  by the1jp

I was walking on the old ERIE roadbed as I sometimes do and saw the earth movers starting to change the landscape. The construction can not really be seen from either East Main or Rochester street at this time. There are too many trees or the ERIE fill itself obscuring the view. As of last Saturday no work seems to be done on the LA&L end of the plan.
Has anyone in the area seen a good building plan?

#293495  by railwatcher

An access road is being worked on at this time across the tracks just above the switch at the north end of the Avon yard. There has been a dozer seen crossing the rails. I have snapped a shot of this and will have it downloaded in the near future. Some steelwork is starting on the buildings. The former Erie ROW from Avon yard to the Genesee river is now a part of history.

Greg
 #338362  by the1jp

So it begins!
Someone from the LA&L has a liitle dozer doing some work in the Barilla factory area. If you walk down the access road to the factory on Rochester Street (sorry, I am suffering from a brain cramp right now so I don't remember the factory) and look north you can see some grading and clearing being done right by the north leg of the old wye.
I guess, the switch leading into Barilla will be close to that road for easy access.
Merry Christmas everyone!

#338512  by railwatcher

1jp that would be Aldon Manufacturing.

#354137  by Alcoman

Has anyone seen a track diagram showing the proposed lead and yard into this plant ?( I assume there will be a need for a yard?