Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #169362  by HV4005

Hello,

I am looking for Photos and other information of B&O heavyweight Coach 3501. It is located in Nelsonville Ohio On the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway undergoing a real slow restoration. Been in the shop since 2003 and is in primer the interior has been painted and is awaiting on the blue and grey to be applied. I would like to find out a date it was sold to the Hocking Valley. Had markings on side that were (RRP)?
 #169384  by Passenger Extra

HV4005 wrote:Hello,

I am looking for Photos and other information of B&O heavyweight Coach 3501. It is located in Nelsonville Ohio On the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway undergoing a real slow restoration. Been in the shop since 2003 and is in primer the interior has been painted and is awaiting on the blue and grey to be applied. I would like to find out a date it was sold to the Hocking Valley. Had markings on side that were (RRP)?

Sorry I cant be of any help, but Ill post your request on the Railfan.net, theres a lot of us B&O ers over there.

Thats Great! 3500's were about as comfortable a coach as there was, a lot them were refurbished. In fact 3501 could very well have been through Athens quite a few times. There were 3 or 4 on the National Limited.

PX
 #169574  by HV4005

Hello,

Thanks for the help and info. the cars real number before being rebuilt by the B&O was the 5445. How did you know about me in Athens?

#170365  by Passenger Extra

Well, you said the car was in Nelsonville. Im an OU grad, class of 66; so I just figured you already knew about the B&O and Athens.
 #268947  by HV4005

The 3501 is now back in the B&O Colors after almost 3 years. I will post photos sunday.

#269071  by hutton_switch

I'm sorry that I didn't respond when you made your original post, though I figured you were in good hands with PX. Most of the individuals who frequent the B&O forum at Railfan.net are variable in their knowledge of the B&O, though I think most of them wouldn't be able to help you in a really valuable way on restoring your heavyweight coach 3501. Were you able to find what you were looking for, as far as reliable plans for restoring it, especially on striping and lettering? The reason I ask is that the best knowledge base for anything on B&O hardware exists over in the B&O Yahoo forum at http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/B ... e_and_Ohio. This group of B&O enthusiasts are "rivet counters" in the literal sense of the term, and do not undertake any restorations of original B&O hardware or construction of B&O models unless they can conform to the actual prototype. If you have any doubts about how accurately you restored your coach, I suggest that you join there and tell the group about what you did, and maybe one or more individuals might respond in a helpful and useful way. Good luck!