Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1402467  by amtrakhogger

I noticed last night that the Arch St. Shops had the doors open and inside were around four MN M7A cars and one
LIRR M3. Has repair work resumed at the shop or are those cars stored there?
 #1402474  by SwingMan

Yes, it is PTC installation. '

The LIRR M3s at Arch Street are decommissioned and most have been there for 5+ years.
 #1403133  by DogBert

Sounds about right. If it's anything like similar moves in the past, LIRR diesels run over hell gate to facilitate the move. I believe it was mostly an overnight or weekend move.
 #1403134  by amtrakhogger

SwingMan wrote:Yes, it is PTC installation. '

The LIRR M3s at Arch Street are decommissioned and most have been there for 5+ years.
Yes, that long string of M3's has been there for quite awhile, but there actually was one M3 inside the building along with the M7A's.
 #1403288  by BuddR32

The one M3 in the shop is 9775. It's mate long gone. Work had begun to make this an alcohol/sandite to replace the M1 sandites. For wahtever reason they decided to pull the plug on it, maybe they'll go to an M7 sandite.
 #1403358  by gregorygrice

PHOTO: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/591119/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/UAcEM1uBI3o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A 4 car set of M7A's were transferred between Metro North & Long Island Railroad crews for a move to Arch Street Shops in Long Island City via Amtrak's Hell Gate Line. Metro North North Extra 102 brought the cars from Croton Yard to New Rochelle Station. After handed to the Long Island Railroad crew, the cars are towed from New Rochelle Station to Arch St Shops. All of Metro North's M7A railcar fleet will make the journey to LIC little by little to have PTC (Positive Train Control) equipment installed by Bombardier.

Pairs brought down on this move;
-MNCR 4146/4147
-MNCR 4105/4104
 #1404011  by GojiMet86

At around a little before 10PM Thursday, two Engines passed by Astoria heading north on Hell Gate, hauling the four Metro-North M7A cars.

EDIT:
At around 1:15AM Friday at Astoria, another batch was sent down.
 #1404053  by DogBert

Assuming my math is right, If they do 4 per week, it will take roughly a year and a half to finish them all.
 #1404135  by tahawus84

There is a set of LIRR M7s outside the building in the yard. Maybe they will make them sandite. They have the car number on the middle of the car under the window unlike the other M7s I have seen in service. I believe one car number was 4100.
 #1404149  by BuddR32

That's M-N, not LI. There's a few subtle differences, one of them is the car number in the center under the window, LI's don't have that. Also, LI M7 is 7000 series car numbers, M-N is 4000.