Railroad Forums 

• Anything left to see of the old B&ML?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#168877  by oibu

Just was wondeirng if I'm passing through Maine this fall whether a side trip to Unity or Thorndike might be worthwhile. As the railroad has been rudely kicked out of Belfast, I'd imagine some of teh motive power is likely sitting outside at Unity and/or Thorndike... would be nice to get some shots of those units at least one more time on their home turf, and as most were normally kept indoors I'm thinking this may be an opportunity to see some of them, such as the 16 and 53, that have very seldom seen the light of day for some years now. Anyone know where the engines are and if any of them are outdoors?

Hi

#168993  by thebigham

Check out NERails for pictures.

Chris
 #169021  by bml1149

The only motive power outside is the 16, which is in Unity, located on the RH side of the Depot St. crossing. The Budd car which is on the turntable lead and 52 which is in Belfast, on the west side of Bridge St. crossing. All other power is inside, either in Unity, or Thorndike. The steam locomotive's tender is outside in Unity.

#180953  by joshuahouse

I've been looking at Unity College there in Unity, am I right in thinking that there is not real activity on this line now and the closest active rail line is in Clinton, or is that line also inactive?

#181305  by MEC407

joshuahouse wrote:I've been looking at Unity College there in Unity, am I right in thinking that there is not real activity on this line now and the closest active rail line is in Clinton, or is that line also inactive?
Yes, the line through Clinton is Guilford's main line. It runs through Burnham, where it connects with the B&ML, and continues northeast to Bangor and eventually Mattawamkeag.